• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparks under dash

heepspeed

So I just had a small shower of sparks under the dash and now the truck died and has no electricity. Obviously something grounded out. I'm thinking it might be the ignition wires. Has anyone encountered this?

SturmTyger380

Yep was cruising across the yard after I got my truck and the same thing happened.

Ten minutes with black elec tape and it was running again. I have a harness to fit once I start re-doing her.

Alan

m109a2

Disconnect the pos terminal on battery,Get a volt/ohm meter set it on ohms.Test the meter by touching the two leads together if you have a old analog meter it will peg if you have a newer meter you will get a reading.This will tell you if tell you what is a ground and what is shorted to ground.Before you start to troubleshoot,Open all switches {OFF}.Now touch the black lead to any part of the truck.Might have to sratch some paint but do this where it does not show,Now proceed to check I would start with the under the dash remeber nothing has two grounds say like headlight hot and ground.Look for vibration points on the wires just my 2cents.Before I would do this I would do like jeepsinker said get under there,Thermoplastic insulation smells like nothing else.And you can probly feel A problem.But disconnect the pos PM if cannot find the problem.Al

vtdeucedriver

Breakers on the m37, assuming it's still 24 volt are self resetting! If you have disconnected the battery, under the steering column, inspect the harness going in from the drivers side firewall and too the ignition switch. If you had a complete power failure, it will be in those wires leading to the breakers just to the left of your instrument panel, should be 3.

heepspeed

Ok, I found frayed wires. Taped it all up and I have power. Headlights don't turn on and truck won't start. I have two random female plugs. One comes from ignition but I don't see where it would go.

SturmTyger380

There should be a hot wire going to the switch. Then there are most of the time two wires coming off of the switch that are hot when turned on. One of those goes to the coil. Sometimes there is a third wire that comes out and is not used.

Alan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks