• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo cable mystery *pics*

Banshee365

Speedo hasn't worked in years according to the mileage on an oil change sticker dated year 2000 exactly 3k miles over the mileage read off the speedo. So today I decided to troubleshoot the problem. I was suspecting a broken speedo cable or gauge itself. You can spin the coupler on the back of the gauge and the needle show's speed, doesn't take alot of RPM to get speed out of it. I easily got 30 mph spinning it with my hand. Here's the weird thing. Disconnected the cable from the back of the panel and held it in my hand while I drove, of course the cable was not spinning, so then I suspected the cable to be at fault. I then removed the cable from the truck. When I had it all out I spun one end and the other spun as well. The connection seemed tight enough on both ends but there wasn't much torque on them. Is it common for problems with the piece coming off of the gearbox that the cable connects to or is that pretty unheard of? Here is a pic of boths ends of the cable where the gauge end is square and the gearbox end has a keyed round shaft. On the gearbox end, it's not have to push the cable far enough down in the cable housing that you have to get some pliers to pull it out. Anything seem out of order here, any ideas? Thanks loads guys!

-Kelly

Attachments

Banshee365

It now appears to me the cable is faulty. It's not broken but i think it's kinked in on the trans side (left side of pic.) You can push the cable down into the houding all the way where you can't get it out, that doesn't seem normal to me. How much do these things usually run?

-Kelly

ida34

The cable should go into a right angle adaptor at the transfer case. Be sure to check to see that it is working properly. If it is you probably have the same problem I had. When I got my deuce it was missing a small adapter that goes inside the transfer case that commects the tranfer case output to the right angle adaptor. You can see it on the -34p diagram. I got mine from Memphis Equipment. My deuce had the tranfer case changed out just before I got it and they probably forgot to transfer the part from the old to the new case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks