• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo going out?

linx310

My speedo is bouncing a bit and goes negative when I am reverse. I have a feeling its not the speedo cable but the speedo it self.

This sucks because I just got finished restoring the interior and don't want to have to pull it apart again.

Can I just disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the cluster and then remove the speedo from the cluster itself with out having to pull the entire gauge cluster out?

When I had it apart I seem to remember it bolts in from the front of cluster itself.

rlwm211

Before yanking the speedo cable, I would spray the inside of the cable housing with WD40, or some other lube. While it is possible your speedo is failing, I would still lube the cable as it will eliminate a potential problem in the future.

Just my two cents.
RL

SmokeyDod

Most likely its the cable & not your gauge. I suggest you remove the cable completely and re-lub it properly. You don't have to take out cluster, just lay in floorboard & reach up & feel your way to the cable. It has a spring type lock that you squeeze w/fingers and pull str. out. Then take it lose from trans. When you get it out clean & check it and re-lub it and put back in.

NOTE NOTE I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERIES BEFORE YOU TRY TO PUT IT BACK IN. SINCE YOU CAN'T SEE WHERE IT GOES IN, YOU HAVE TO FEEL YOUR WAY AND JUST PUSH IT STR & IT WILL "CLICK" WHEN IT GETS SEATED.

WHAT I DID WHILE FEELING MY WAY, I GROUNDED THE METAL END ON CLUSTER PRINTED CIRCUIT PANEL AND SHORTED THE WHOLE THING OUT. RUINED IT & MY DAY. THAT'S WHY I SAY TO DISCONNECT BATTERIES.