• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer calibration.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was driving one of my 109A3's yesterday and noticed that the speedometer was not matching up with indicated RPM's, It indicated well over 60 mph while the tach was showing 2500 rpm. The truck has 9.00-20's on it. Is it possible the speedo gear is calibrated for 11.00-20's?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
This was in fifth gear, and I was paced by antoher vehicle and never went over 55mph on the pace vehicle speedometer

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Speedometer calibration.

AJMBLAZER said:
Got a GPS unit? You can always figure out your speed then.
Yeah, but I can't seem to find the Cigarette lighter in this truck.

:lol:

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Speedometer calibration.

Ah, mine's battery powered. Had the same two AA's in it for about a year now. Of course the only thing I use it for is checking the actual speed on my vehicles...none of which indicate true for some reason...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

I've got a Garmin that seems pretty accurate, I'm going to take it on the M35 recovery tomorrow, see how slow were going on the way back from Santa Fe!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

FMJ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7x6fpGvn0

I like my garmin a lot.

Riddle me this- Garmin says 62mph, speedo says 55- I was running 11.00x20s so I can understand this- but the tach says 2400rpm. That can't be right, can it?

I thought it was supposed to be higher than that at 55, but my truck never seems to go up that high Rpm wise. It will if you are out of gear and you rev it, so I don't think the tach is messed up. Hmmm... might explain my 12mpg...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Speedometer calibration.

Ferroequinologist said:
FMJ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7x6fpGvn0

I like my garmin a lot.

Riddle me this- Garmin says 62mph, speedo says 55- I was running 11.00x20s so I can understand this- but the tach says 2400rpm. That can't be right, can it?

I thought it was supposed to be higher than that at 55, but my truck never seems to go up that high Rpm wise. It will if you are out of gear and you rev it, so I don't think the tach is messed up. Hmmm... might explain my 12mpg...
Makes sense to me, bigger tires, slower rotation speed required, engine turns slower, as does the speedo.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Speedometer calibration.

mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)

do the math

with 11:00, 2400 rpm = 56.5 mph, 62 mph = 2633 rpm

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I forgot to mention that it didn't seem to go over 2500 even when I had the 9.oox20s on there. I'm no good at math. -:( It just seemed slow to me. Yes, I get the idea of less revolutions = more distance traveled with bigger tires.

Just seemed low to me that's all.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

checked mine vs. gps yesterday...
1100 20 NDCC
62 mph @ 2500RPM

speedo was bouncing about either side of 60mph

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Speedometer calibration.

m-35tom said:
mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)

do the math

with 11:00, 2400 rpm = 56.5 mph, 62 mph = 2633 rpm

MATH????????, hold on, I gotta take my socks off........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks