• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split master cylinder brake set up?

houdel

Some Deuces actually had a split braking system, the manual is in the TM section.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=85

The pics below show an illustration of the system and parts callout from the manual. Don't know if you'd be able to find the master cylinder - it's probably pretty scarce. Many GM vehicles (and other makes as well) from the 60's - 80's had split diagonal drum/drum systems, the master cylinders were pretty good sized and may be adaptable.

Personally, if I were doing this mod on my truck I'd do it diagonally, the way GM did it, each M/C chamber fed one front wheel and the rear wheel on the opposite side. That way if one system failed you still had front and rear brakes that worked, and since they were on opposite sides you didn't get "brake steer". I'm not sure I'd like only front OR rear brakes on a Deuce if one system failed!

Attachments

Crazyguyla

The master cylinder is simular to what GM uses on thier Medium Duty Trucks, Motorhomes. I was going to do the split air setup while working for a GM Meduim Truck shop, but was deployed to Iraq and decieded to stay on active duty until I hit atleast the 20 yr mark, maybe longer ;) The conversion's not really hard, just time consuming, a little fabrication,a little patiance, and another airpack. I think the mount for the master cylinder might be diffrent too, but i'm sure someone can fabricate an adapter. I plan on doing the split air brake system, but that's a while down the road.

houdel

Interesting - The diagram shows ONE dual system master cylinder and TWO air-hydraulic booster units! Guess I need to read up more on Deuce brake systems. In most cars/light trucks with vacuum or hydraulic boosters (which is what I am most familiar with), the booster acts on the master cylinder push rod to provide braking assist. It appears that on the Deuce that there is no assist to the master cylinder push rod, when the brake pedal is pushed the m/c forces brake fluid into the AHU and the AHU then magically boosts the hydraulic pressure in the lines going to the wheel cylinders. Do I have basic concept down right?

That would explain why the Deuce split brake system requires two AHUs, one to boost each of the two separate downstream hydraulic systems. With all that out of the way, does anyone have a part number or specific application for the GM Medium Duty Truck master cylinder Marcus mentioned? This sounds like an interesting and worthwhile mod. I like driving my Deuce with six wheel brakes, but in the event a brake hose pops, I'd much rather have three wheels with brakes rather than NO brakes at all (assuming I did the split diagonal mod rather than the OE front/rear version).

m35a2cowner

split brakes

You might check the forum section. It seems to me that someone was discussing a kit to convert to a dual line master cylinder. It seems to me that I saw it a week or to ago.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alas I spoke with John Tennis (Deuce Butcher) he was seeking an american foundry to cast some master cylinders to do exactly this. I wished I had all the original text and pics from Tom Bauers Millenium Reo conversion, it had a wild brake system. How 'bout it JT, any luck?

houdel

Seems to me the GM Medium Duty Truck master cylinder Marcus mentioned would be a simpler and cheaper solution, although I'm sure you'd need to fab up a mounting adapter and push rod. Anyone have any info on the M/C? Marcus, are you still watching this post, any comments?

Crazyguyla

The only dueces I have seen with the split brake system were air force dueces. The M35A3 uses the exact same setup, except the the fluid reservoir is located on the fire wall where the air filter sits on the A2. These are Bendix part numbers. A2 - 2232693 Master Cylinder w/ Resivoir. A3 2233867 Master Cylinder wo/ resivoir, 2232244 Resivoir.

Trango

So I picked up some air over hydraulic airpacks a year or so ago. I also have the foot pedal and the stock switch from the truck (a COE Hino), but I don't want to necessarily swap EVERYTHING over yet.

My thought is to split the air output from the stock master, and use that to fire up one of the airpacks. I'll run the stock brake output to the front brakes, and then run the new pack to the rears.

Yet another project I need to finish before everything is tow worthy. :)

Bob