• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split Rim Safety

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Deuce. I wouldn't even be on same side of truck even to air them up.
I did read all the posts this subject thru the years which gave healthy respect for my wheels.
I made a setup with Milton locking chuck and a precise fill regulator and stayed far away.

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4, 2.5, and 5 tons all use what is called a Gooodyear LTS wheel. The "S" is to denote "safety" in the design.

When the ring is properly locked into the wheel, upon inflation the tire rises up over the ring segment that is already down in the wheel, assuring it will hold place when properly inflated and for the life of the mounting.

So many just don't understand the dynamics of that design, and it was selected years ago as the safest thing for soldiers to service in the field with minimal tools and training. Sometimes they didn't have a choice as to fix a tire themselves.

In over 50 years of doing my own tactical tire work, there has never been a ring failure. I do have a cage and remote fill hose, mainly because there are other wheels I don't trust.

Commercial wheels are another thing, and there are vastly different types over the years.

DDG

Big Tom

Changed thousands of split rims without any trouble , they r a great design don’t need a lot of tools can be done anywhere just like anything Elese if you don’t pay attention that’s your fault not the rims !!!!
Big Tom

BEASTMASTER

THERE IS A HUGE MISCONCEPTION On here . a split rim wheel is what it says a rim that is split in the middle into two pieces VERY DANGEROUS AND OUTLAWED WAY WAY BACK the rims on military trucks are lock ring rims AND ARE SAFE IF TREATED PROPERLY . been doing rims for 55 yrs and never had one explode. like my buddie clint used to say " A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS "

HN6

I just did 6 and was really impressed at the design. I even broke one down to pull out a nail I did not initially see and it was great learning and easy. Easy to see how the tire "locked" over the ring when properly seated. I still used caution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks