• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spoon’s build thread

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!

Finally some time and weather to work on the deuce! Spin-ons occurred today.

It went really well, except reinstalling the fuel line from the primary to the secondary at the secondary. Not enough space to get my wrench on the brass piece without stripping it. I may have to drop the secondary filter and conversion to reattach the line. Or I may breed a slimline wrench, perhaps a brass one…

Unfortunately, I didn’t start taking pictures until I was at home with the parts.
A7D833E7-59B3-4FA0-9499-03B165B5FBC5.jpeg
138BFFC9-D443-4779-AB37-7017D76810E8.jpeg
CB3F17CA-7574-464F-878C-934C5BCD1530.jpeg
A friend stopped by as I was swearing at the primary and my lack of a 3rd arm. He held the 1” bolt still while I threaded the primary conversion on!

A slight bit of pry bar action and the generator was secured.

I’m super grateful these conversions exist! I’m not a fan of canister filters. On the topic of fuel, it was pretty mungy. I don’t want to drain the fuel tank, but it’s starting to look like the next thing. I guess I’m getting a barrel… At least I can save it for my future fuel/wmo process.

Now where’d I put that spare $$$…

Cheers,

🥄

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all!

Finally some time and weather to work on the deuce! Spin-ons occurred today.

It went really well, except reinstalling the fuel line from the primary to the secondary at the secondary. Not enough space to get my wrench on the brass piece without stripping it. I may have to drop the secondary filter and conversion to reattach the line. Or I may breed a slimline wrench, perhaps a brass one…

Unfortunately, I didn’t start taking pictures until I was at home with the parts.
View attachment 897992
View attachment 897993
View attachment 897994
A friend stopped by as I was swearing at the primary and my lack of a 3rd arm. He held the 1” bolt still while I threaded the primary conversion on!

A slight bit of pry bar action and the generator was secured.

I’m super grateful these conversions exist! I’m not a fan of canister filters. On the topic of fuel, it was pretty mungy. I don’t want to drain the fuel tank, but it’s starting to look like the next thing. I guess I’m getting a barrel… At least I can save it for my future fuel/wmo process.

Now where’d I put that spare $$$…

Cheers,

🥄
What if...

Wonder if you could use the old canister filter housings to recirculate and clean your fuel? Maybe an intake line on the bottom of the fuel tank and a return that pours the fuel back into the tank. With an electric pump to do the cycling, it could be any voltage - guessing that 12v would be cheaper than 24v - and the connection to batteries could be simple alligator clips. Or maybe a cheap-o something from somewhere like harbor freight that runs on wall power...

Don't need a barrel that way. :cool:

ToddJK

What if...

Wonder if you could use the old canister filter housings to recirculate and clean your fuel? Maybe an intake line on the bottom of the fuel tank and a return that pours the fuel back into the tank. With an electric pump to do the cycling, it could be any voltage - guessing that 12v would be cheaper than 24v - and the connection to batteries could be simple alligator clips. Or maybe a cheap-o something from somewhere like harbor freight that runs on wall power...

Don't need a barrel that way. :cool:
Actually Harbor Freight has that little transfer pump for around $50-60 that has the alligator clips. It says it's not for fuel or oil, but I've been using mine for that and it's worked better than the fuel designated pumps from Amazon.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually Harbor Freight has that little transfer pump for around $50-60 that has the alligator clips. It says it's not for fuel or oil, but I've been using mine for that and it's worked better than the fuel designated pumps from Amazon.
A friend has a small fuel transfer pump that I’ll borrow for this purpose. I’m not quite ready to dive into my wmo process, otherwise I’d try to get a pump that could be used cross purpose.

Island politic-ing, I’m back to gaining interest in a centralized shop for machine maintenance. I’ve got people interested and willing to donate $$ for this project. There’s a community Land Trust that could do this project. Unfortunately, they‘ve stagnated and are reluctant to embark on challenging projects.

The island tends to talk the environmental talk, but when it comes to reducing the dying machines or doing recycling, they get lost in the details. It takes time to swing the opinion. Eg., things I suggested 20 years ago are now vogue. ;p

A question is why don’t I do it on my land. Answer, it’s family land (historical) and the politics are even more daunting. I will pour a slab for my shop soon for my small mechanic business. I’m tired of doing house calls and my back won’t tolerate the lifting required for this kind of work.

I digress. Have a great day!

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

My fiddling with the fuel tank demonstrated a problem with my steel tools and brass fittings. For this that have removed the in tank lift pump how did you accomplish it without seriously damaging the fasteners?

I’ve tracked down a barrel to hold the “fuel”. Now I’m waiting to get my primary vehicle back. I’m currently driving a Suzuki clown car that won’t fit a 55g drum…

Things move slowly here.

Cheers,

🥄

ToddJK

Hello all,

My fiddling with the fuel tank demonstrated a problem with my steel tools and brass fittings. For this that have removed the in tank lift pump how did you accomplish it without seriously damaging the fasteners?

I’ve tracked down a barrel to hold the “fuel”. Now I’m waiting to get my primary vehicle back. I’m currently driving a Suzuki clown car that won’t fit a 55g drum…

Things move slowly here.

Cheers,

🥄
It varies. If need be, use a Dremel tool and cut slits into the screws to use a standard bit or screw driver, for the brass fittings, if the flats are rounding off, try a small pipe wrench. I'd replace with all new hardware when you have the chance to do so.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings from Outer WA,

I tackled the oil filter conversions today!
IMG_7975.jpeg
IMG_7973.jpeg
Fairly straightforward. I sourced a barrel for the muddy fuel. Still waiting for a truck. It’ll free up the end of the month.

I’ve got a nifty drill pump I’ll use for the transfer. A friend is coming up soon and I’ll use him to drop the fuel tank. I plan to use a cleaning/sealant kit on the tank and will replace the brass fittings on the lift pump.

I’m hoping the lift pump issue is fuse related due to the mud. It could be the ground or the line or it could be defunct. I’ll know soonish.

On a related note I had to build a brake line for a customer. The first time with a flaring tool. I made about 10 practice flares before I did the actual line. It worked. I know there’ll be some line building in my deuce future.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Fall is coming, but it was lovely today. I picked up the barrel, it has some fluid and based on the whiff it is diesel.

I delivered it to the deuce and am slowly getting ready to transfer the “fuel”. I took a look at the wires on top of the tanks, they look pretty crusty. I didn’t have any tools with me today, but I will definitely check the conductivity when I can.

IMG_8017.jpeg
IMG_8018.jpeg
My back continues to heal. I’ve been able to get my wood in for the winter, a huge worry for my fartner.

I keep dreaming about the deuce. I’m super excited to get her going! The $$ is no joke with this thing. I still don’t know how the brakes are messed up, but that’ll come in time.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

A brief update. The drill pump failed. Now I have a lot of 1/2” fuel line, so, not really a problem.

I’ll use my manual transfer pump to finish it. Just see that taking time. Looks like about 40 gallons. If I can get the siphon going it’ll be less effort.

I looked at the fasteners holding the tank in place. Looks fairly simple to remove.

I’m going to Seattle this weekend. I may pick up some Group 31 batteries. The ones she has are pretty hosed.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

It appeared my willingness to manually pump diesel is limited. I got about 5 gallons out and bailed on doing more. I bit the bullet and got a cordless transfer pump. It’ll be useful for my alt fuel set up.

I picked up the group 31 batteries. Ouch $$.

Next hydraulic lines for my tractor and then back to my island. The city is expensive…

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings all,

We are into the cold season out here. I’m ready to move forward with this project, but realized the county needs to take a couple of trees down on my driveway, so not a rush to bring her home.

I’ve given up on doing the fuel pumping where she is. I’ll use a pony can and drive her home for the deeper work coming up.

I’m seriously busy with non-mechanical stuff right now. I have a book coming out next month and a gob of book launch stuff happening. Wish me luck.

cheers,

Spoon

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon all,

Starting to warm up, I’m preparing to bring the deuce home!

To that end I’ll be using a temporary fuel tank with a fitting directly to the secondary filter assembly. What size is the fitting at that point?

Does anyone know off the top of your head?

My life got super busy/complicated and I haven’t had much mechanical bandwidth. It’s creeping back and I’m excited to get my truck home. It’ll look good in my yard!

Thanks in advance!

Spoon

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Some work on the deuce. Finished wiring the new batteries.

Popped the fuel pump wire out and tested it with the help of a friend. Getting juice. Took off the cover where the fuse is. Fuse was burnt. I’m ordering one shortly.

We temporarily jumped the fuse and the pump works! Opened the primary filter input line and ran some fuel into a container, not to bad. Plugged the line back in and primed the lines up to the secondary.

Opened the injector fittings and cranked it a lot. No dice. Took off the plate cover the kill switch. That mechanism was sticky. Got it moving smoothly. Reassembled it. Cracked the injector lines again and cranked some more. A bit of fuel froth. Curious.

Suggestions for completing the priming? Are there bleed spots on the hydraulic head? Why is the fuel frothy?

Thanks in advance,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning all,

Lots of reading later. Looks like the Hydraulic Head needs a cleaning and given the crunchy nature of the fuel lines from the head to the injectors, I’ll clean and probably paint them, at least get the fittings happy.

I will likely bypass the fuel density compensator and add a pyrometer. Every time I see FDC, my brain says: fool destiny comp.

My book published and I’m heading out into civilization to promote it and see some stuff and generally take a break from my little island. I write and study philosophy out on the edge where psychology meets physics, the things I teach and explore generally make “normal” people’s eyes cross. If you want to know and the mods ok it, I’ll post a link to my book.

More progress to follow when I return from my adventure.

Cheers,

Spoon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks