• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag unit

battlecr

Are there any sprage units still available? Mine doesn’t work going forward. I did the cardinal sin rolled in gear. I want to stay with sprage for now and maybe change to an air shift later down the road.
Don G

tommys2patrick

I have one I took out when I converted mine to air. Shipping might be a bit pricey. Already crated though--in the crate that came with the air version. pretty secure crate and hold downs inside. I would imagine others have them available as well. perhaps someone closer to you. Boyce in Salt Lake City might have one. they do a lot of conversions and unless they scrap them should have plenty on hand I would think.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to go through the work of removing and replacing you really should just get an air shift and only do it one time. Just my 2¢ worth

jasonjc

There really isn't a lot that can go wrong in the sprag unless the outer teeth got sheared off. These pic are of a 5 ton's but I assume the 2 1/2 is the same just smaller.

Well I see in another thread where one got HOT. So I guess that was from going the wrong way maybe.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There really isn't a lot that can go wrong in the sprag unless the outer teeth got sheared off. These pic are of a 5 ton's but I assume the 2 1/2 is the same just smaller.
Apparently the 2-1/2 ton sprags wear relatively fast, while the 5-ton clutches last forever, it seems.

Lovetofix

The 5-Ton sprague can get worn in several different ways. Mine wore flat spots on the curved faces of the wedges for one direction when the poppet valves stuck and it stayed in reverse position while I was driving forward. The truck was was loaded going down hill and the same moment I felt it binding up I hit the clutch and it popped. It made a horrific bang and I thought the transfer case must have split. However all it did was flatten the curved face of the wedges in the sprague unit. It still worked part of the time but would slip at times. I have a video and pictures if anyone would like more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davemccoull

I had same fault with my sprag box, when sprag unit was removed the wedges were gummed up with old oil, these were removed cleaned, and burrs stoned off. When reassembled worked o.k. until i made mistake of rolling back and jamming in drive, it came out with a bang ( firghtened the crap out of me). Decided to fit air shift box so i can engage f.w.d when i want.
I advertised sprag box for sale open to offers, no takers, advertised free to good home, no takers, ended up scrapping it. Nobody wants sprag boxes, ( in UK anyway).

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mr. David Doyle did nice explanation in Military Vehicles Magazine February 2002.
"Care for the overrunning clutch" with diagrams and things to adjust to keep it healthy.
Maybe that could be found on the internet. Issue #89, Krause publication.

Doyle started writing contributions for enthusiast publications, focusing on historic military vehicle restoration, with articles appearing regularly in the U.S., U.K., France and Poland by 1999. The articles led to books, first of all the 2003 catalog of U.S. historic military vehicles.DD clutch IMG_8142.jpgDD clutch IMG_8143.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If it is proper flavor parts kit for what You need there is four in eBay with search NSN2520-00-513-5811. $250 sound right? for NOS
So somebody teach me right, Is it Sprague or Sprag?

jasonjc

If it is proper flavor parts kit for what You need there is four in eBay with search NSN2520-00-513-5811. $250 sound right? for NOS
So somebody teach me right, Is it Sprague or Sprag?
When talking about a clutch its sprag. Sprague is not a word per Merriam-Webster
“sprague”
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
When talking about a clutch its sprag. Sprague is not a word per Merriam-Webster
“sprague”
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
Yeah the thing on in eBay with the listed NSN is listed as a sprague.
That led to conjecture
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks