• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sprage in my 5 ton bridge truck

davesgmc

Ok, I need someone to clarify the way the front axle engagement is supposed to work in my 1954 5 ton bridge truck. does it only work in 1st and reverse? or should it work in ANY gear? I am not sure it is working properly at all, i may be imagining it, but it seemed to only work in first when i was out playing in the snow, or was i only imagining it?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sprag is controlled by a valve on the trans tower and an air cylinder on the front of the transfer case. The sprag is shifted in the forward drive position in neutral and any forward gear. It is shifted to reverse drive only when in reverse in the trans. Build up air pressure in the truck, kill the motor, then shift the trans from neutral to reverse. You should hear a clunk sound under your feet each time you move the lever. If you do, the air shift system is working. If you do not, there is a problem in the air supply or in the cylinder. Check the air supply to the velve and beyond, and if you have it working right, then take the cylinder apart and check for set-up grease or crud in it that is hindering its operation, especially in cold weather.
Another possibility is that if the air tanks have water in them that has gotten into the rest of the system, it could be frozen in the lines or valves causing the problem. Drain the air tanks regularly to prevent this problem, but you have to do it when it is warm enough the water is not frozen. Warming up the whole truck will let the air tanks be drained and water in the lines be purged.
Regards Marti