• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring or box seat-which has more room?

m38inmaine

My truck has the spring seat and on my recent 18hr trip home I found it quite cramped and close to the steering wheel. I am 5' 10" 155lbs so not being a giant I expected more room behind the wheel. I tried every adjustment on it and none seems to help. I was curious if the box seat might offer more room. My other option might be to somehow reduce the thickness of the seat back cushion.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think the front crank adjusts the spring tension. I had to crank it way down to get more height. It pops up to the top when your weight is off of it though. On the ride home I thought it was kind of cramped too. I think I just adapted to it though. I am your height, but 40lbs heavier.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just took the box seat out of my truck and put a spring ride in it and there is definitely more room with the box seat.

m38inmaine

Sounds like I sure could use it but it looks bulky/heavy, do you think it would be reasonable to ship it? I have an account with fedex ground and could have it picked up. I appreciate the offer!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yup both bulky and heavy. I will take a look at it in the morning to see if it worth it. Finding a box might be interesting. There is always Aberdeen if you are going.

JDToumanian

On the subject of seats and their adjustment, here's a little tip for everyone out there that does not like their fingernails to become black and painful... :(

The day I got my deuce home, I sat on the driver's (box) seat and decided that it was too close to the steering wheel. The seat was difficult to move, so... I grabbed the seat frame at the front with my right hand around/under the front edge and used my left to pull the adjuster out, then I pushed back with my feet. CRUNCH! My fingers were smashed between the seat frame and the box.

aua

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next time I recover a spring seat back, I plan on trimming the foam down quite a bit, it's just too thick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks