• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spring question

BSH

I've seen trailer springs mentioned in a couple other threads, and I have a further question. These trailers (like my M101A1) are pretty ruggedly built. The 3/4 ton trailer can easily manage over a ton, particularly on-road (it's actually rated for a ton on-road, IIRC), and they are pretty stiff. Does anybody have any thoughts for the effect of taking out one leaf from the spring pack?

The answer that comes to me is somewhat reduced loading capacity, sitting a half-inch lower, and maybe being less stiff on light loads?

It's a more or less idle question of curiosity, as I ponder "civilianizing" my trailer (including a civi axle one of these days...).

Wolf.Dose

You can also put a civilian axle direct under the body without a frame and add a civilian drawbar to the body. Then you can choose your load capacity according to the axle you use. Makes quite a good trailer with a relatively low loading hight.
Wolf

BSH

Wolf, you mean mount an axle & drawbar directly to the body, eliminating the original frame? Hmmm... I wonder what the load capacity of the body would be in that situation? I hadn't thought of that, but I bet it would be fine. Assuming I can fix the rusty spots on my bed. ;)
Thanks,
Brian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks