• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring spacer really that bad?

Skrilex

Banned
I know they can play havoc with suspension but what if they were cut a little thinner still to achieve maybe 1.25” or something instead of full 2”? That, combined with a 1” hockey puck setup on body gets me where I want to be but I don’t want to make this rough girl any rougher. I know it’s the hard way to go but my thinking is it reduces the negatives of both while still gaining a little each.

Was also looking around at winch springs and such but they don’t seem to be common or even exist.

I think the 2”spacers are actually only 3/4 thick so I was wondering what 1/2 would be like.

aleigh

Rubber duck makes a lift package that will bring your ride height up while preserving the factory geometry, and you get whole inches. SKU: RDH10-S2L-NF

If you just want a little though, I might start asking question like do you have tired springs or could you go to stiffer springs (like uparmor springs). I don't know too much about HMMWVs but a lifetime of Jeeps and lifts has taught me that matching the springs to the curb weight and intended mission is important. As is preserving toe, camber, and joint angles for the long-term reliability of the vehicle and to control costs (joints, tires). You can also body lift an inch if you are just looking for a little more something, there's a lot of info about that if you google around.

Skrilex

Banned
Yes I’m going to do a 1” body lift pretty sure. But I don’t see how stiffer springs are going to somehow be better ride than spacered springs? Not sure the sag factor currently. Is Spring sag judged by frame height over ground or?
Also I know you can get leaf springs re-arched, is this possible with coils also?

Skrilex

Banned
Just a little stance. No plans for bigger tires yet, just always felt they seemed a little squat, and sagging springs might be a factor in that too.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little stance. No plans for bigger tires yet, just always felt they seemed a little squat, and sagging springs might be a factor in that too.
The HMMWV does a very good job combining high ground clearance, low center of gravity, and room for 37's. Start lifting it, and you're giving up some of that low center of gravity and not really getting anything in return.

That being said, old springs certainly sag. I suspect new springs would get you a couple of inches. I'd do that before a lift. (But personally I'd prioritize something else - like a winch)

And generally speaking I like lifted trucks and big tires. I presume you see my avatar pic...

Dock Rocker

There are plenty of people running puck style lifts to get 2 ish inches in the front. That will level the truck out and allow you to run a 40 inch tire.

I got mine from Custom Combat Trucks in GA. It’s only about a 3/4 inch spacer that goes above the coil.

It’s nominally harder on the suspension. Not enough for me to be concerned about. Worst case I wear out a couple of front end parts a little more rapidly and I replace them.

I want a little more tire height to give me just a tad more top end speed. Also 40’s just look really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sintorion

If your springs have sagged, then coil spacers will restore your ride height. It won't change your ride much. Sagged springs just have less compression.

Action

When you get into body lifts, ypu will need to keep the fuel tank where it is. You will need to space that down from the body and make longer straps.

Skrilex

Banned
When you get into body lifts, ypu will need to keep the fuel tank where it is. You will need to space that down from the body and make longer straps.
Even just a 1” body lift requires this? I’m okay with that just wondering. I can fab almost anything I need.

i understand there’s no reason to lift, but to me these trucks may have been made a tad too wide, at least for civilian purposes, and as such a little extra height is a good thing based on looks. Feels silly saying it but I’m being honest lol.

Skrilex

Banned
Isn’t there a better source for new springs than eBay? The seem to runaround 100$ ea which is reasonable, but just asking in case there’s a hot deal some place else.

Action

Even just a 1” body lift requires this? I’m okay with that just wondering. I can fab almost anything I need.

i understand there’s no reason to lift, but to me these trucks may have been made a tad too wide, at least for civilian purposes, and as such a little extra height is a good thing based on looks. Feels silly saying it but I’m being honest lol.
I dont know. look at the propshaft running along the side of your tank. Will it hit if the tank goes up 1"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks