• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Standard Trailer on a M932A2 Tractor

BMY Tractor

I am brand new to Steel Soldiers, have just bought a BMY M932A2 tractor, the question I have is can it be coupled to a standard semi trailer? I know about the 24 volt to 12 volt problem ( I'll change the lamps in the trailer). Of course the trailer I bought has air brakes. I have been told that the 5th wheel on the tractor might not mate to the king pin on the trailer, This is not a box trailer, but an old school equipment trailer, where a goose neck goes up and over the 5th wheel, with a lower deck and a dove tail with ramps.
Will I have to change out the 5th wheel to make this work?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will I have to change out the 5th wheel to make this work?
No.

Biggest problem is typically hight. If your trailer has a mechanical detach neck with frame rollers on the front, you will need to ramp the back of the truck. Also the neck ot your trailer may not be long enough to clear the tires while turning.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just go to your local truck parts place and get 24v LEDs. And wire them in according. I run a standard 4 flat trailer plug that i have scotch locked into my harness at the tail lamps then ran the trailer wires.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 931 has a standard 2" plate on it. It will hook to civilian trailers. The 931 generates enough air to run the brakes on the trailer.

On one of my 931s, I replaced the military two-axis tilt 5th wheel with a Fontaine slider off a civilian truck. The frame width is the same between the civvy and military trucks (in this case), so it was a bolt on change, though I did have to drill some extra holes.

The net result is that it lowered the plate height by almost 8", which is good for when you haul a box trailer,. It also allows the 5th wheel to slide further to the rear to clear the fat tail end of the A2 when hauling short-necked trailers like the M146. Most equipment trailers have a long enough neck to clear the tires, but sometimes you need just a couple more inches of clearance.

Cheers

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also don't forget, if you change to a lower civilian fifth wheel, especially if pulling a van off road, you might want to lower your bumpstops on your axles just a bit as well, to keep the tires from getting into the underside of your trailer during articulation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks