• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Star and no star

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps someone can comment on this, I have several images of the XM757/Pershing Erector Launcher vehicle and most display no star. One image does have the star showing, as does my '69 XM757.

Question: When was the star used and what was the base camo color on these vehicles?

Attachments

67Beast

I had read somewhere that all vehicles in the CONUS at that time had the national symbol (white star) displayed on them , but a lot of vehicles in combat areas removed them because they made nice targets for the enemy to aim at. The only camo I would think that these trucks saw would be MERDEC if they survied into the mid 70's. I highly doubt that any got 3 color NATO camo which started in the 80's.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
67Beast said:
I had read somewhere that all vehicles in the CONUS at that time had the national symbol (white star) displayed on them , but a lot of vehicles in combat areas removed them because they made nice targets for the enemy to aim at. The only camo I would think that these trucks saw would be MERDEC if they survied into the mid 70's. I highly doubt that any got 3 color NATO camo which started in the 80's.
Found this reference in an April 1982 PS magazine. There is a hint of NATO 3-color camo shown.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This M656 (in the Netherlands) has the 4-color MERDC camo. Interestingly, the numbers on the door are similar to mine, "05A241...". I may be missing the last number. Wish the resolution was good enough to read the bumper lettering...

Edit: The number on my XM757 is 05A24169. Sanding layers of paint made it hard to read.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Army regulations state in TB746- something during the time these trucks were delivered new that vehicles IN the US were not to have the national symbol (star), only those deployed overseas (counter what is stated above by others).

In the US, it was unlikely to be confused with a foreign vehicle by our forces, while overseas, it its green and doesn't have a star, shoot first and ask questions later.

When the MERDC scheme was adopted, the subdued national symbol was adopted. Briefly, prior to these, certain units were authorized to use a large black star experimentally (on solid sg OD)....but these are rare indeed. If this is a big deal when I go home for Thanksgiving I can cite the specifics of all the orders, bulletins and regulations.

During WWII (well predating this vehicle), Allied troops often subdued the white stars on the sides of vehicles, as they served as great aiming points for the enemy. Generations later in Vietnam this was the case as well....which makes it probable that this happened in Europe during the cold war as well, but I have never seen documentation AUTHORIZING this.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
There is a rather elaborate website about the Pershing batteries, their deployments, and rotations. Pershing batteries and equipment circulated globally a great deal more than many other units did.

Best wishes,
David