• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start up for MEP-003A

steelandcanvas

Won a MEP-003A at GL a few weeks ago, and would like suggestions on where to begin to use it. I downloaded the TM from Old SS, and have went through it several times. The unit only has 188 hours on it (per hour meter) so I'm thinking I shouldn't have too many problems. Would it be wise to start with all new filters, or check and see the condition of them first. I will drain the fuel tank, if not done already, and start with fresh fuel. Anything else I should look out for, or just go by the TM? As soon as the EUC clears, I'll have another Green Toy for the shop!!:-D TIA.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
congrats Jonathan,

you'll love your new toy!!!!!

if it were mine, I would pull the dipstick, and look at the oil to see what it looks like. If it's fresh, I would turn on the pumps and open the drain cocks for the fuel filters to purge any water from them. Then fire it up to listen for problems and see how it runs. If all is good, then I would think about doing a full service on the unit. Why go to the trouble of changing perfectly good oil, if you have an issue and need to drain it, then you just wasted a gallon of oil.

Now, if the oil is black and cruddy looking, might as well go ahead and service it before trying to fire it up.

About draining the tank...unless you suspect water infiltration, why drain it....the tanks are pretty shallow, shine a flashlight in it to see if the tank looks clean. The diesel is not like gas...it's not going to go bad unless the tank is full of water your fuel should be good.

one more thing.....

nopics

steelandcanvas

You Guys will be the first to see (in photos) the new toy, I promise.:-D This is my first GL purchase, so the EUC is going to take some time. I'm thinking about the first of the year before it clears.:roll:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You Guys will be the first to see (in photos) the new toy, I promise.:-D This is my first GL purchase, so the EUC is going to take some time. I'm thinking about the first of the year before it clears.:roll:

WOW, you've been a member for quite some time, and this is your first GL purchase....a GL virgin so to speak???? I thought buying from GL was a pre-requisite to joining SS :-D

It could take a while, for sure, for the EUC to clear, I'm also sure this is not your first rodeo with mil surplus, but you'll be excited to get it none the less.

Isaac-1

I am not sure what type fuel filter the MEP-003 uses, however I would suggest checking it before trying to fire it up. I bought a diesel powered air compressor from GL a couple of years ago, the fuel filter was completely waterlogged and had been that way long enough for the paper element to turn to mush.

Ike

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ike, that's a great suggestion. The MEP-002 and 003a's have 3 canisters on them, the first is the water separator/strainer and the next two are the filter canisters....it would take a massive amount of water to make it to the filters though.

A good Idea would be to drain the bowls of each and see if you get any water....no water or not much, and you should be good for a test run.

Isaac-1

One more thought, if the 003 uses the same style electric fuel pump as my 016B, these pumps have a removable washable filter screen element that seems to be left out of the normal PM schedules (twist lock bottom, may have a place to use a wrench on the bottom, catch all the bits that fall out). The 125KW unit we have at work that came from a GL auction has one that was so clogged when we bought it that I am surprised it ran. Oil, fuel and air filters were changed out on a regular basis check/change dates noted on them, etc, but the little strainer in the fuel pump just got overlooked.

Ike

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SaC...one more important thing.

I know I've personally covered this before, and you may or may not have read about it, so I'll hit on it again.

When you start the generator, this applies specifically to the MEP-002 and 003a's as I'm not sure about the others since I have never looked into them. You need to hold the master switch in the "start" position until it builds oil pressure (this is one of the two safeties that will shut you down before you even get started, the other is the high temp switch). DO NOT hold it in the start position longer than 15 seconds. If you have to hold it for that long, when you release it, don't try to restart for about 30 seconds or so. This is to save your starter from overheating, but it will also keep you from having to rebuild your bridge rectifier board and voltage regulator. I can't stress this point enough...if you hold that starter on too long, you will be replacing electronic components sooner or later.

If mine have not been started for a month or so, I'll hold it in start for about 10 seconds, usually this will bring up the oil pressure, but sometimes not. So after a long time setting or after an oil change you may have to hit it twice to build up the pressure to stay running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks