• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter bendix problem M1009

Hasdrubal

Recently started having this happen,usually first thing in morning.Turn key to start, doesn't engage ring gear, just makes whirring sound, next try starts normal. Restarts normal rest of day. Today no engagement after several attempts, get out give starter a good knock with tire iron and she cranks. Was told that its the bendix going. Will this knock routine work until I can replace it? Does starter need replacing or just bendix, or part of? Friend has spare starter, but I wont get out to his place till the weekend.So I need to keep my beast going till then. Does it matter what part of starter to knock?

dilvoy

If the bendix is bad the teeth will engege with the flywheel, but disengage early. You may have a bad bushing in the nose casting of the starter, Your hammering will probably work through the week, as things get worse, you will have to have someone cranking the starter while someone bangs on the starter. Be carefull! I have swapped the nose casting from a civi diesel starter and it's still working years later.

CCATLETT1984

A full rebuild of the starter is only around $125, and you'll be amazed at the difference in starting. I can't believe the difference in mine, realised that the starter was already going bad when I got the truck.

Hasdrubal

Well its been starting on first try, when it doesn't I'm just getting a solenoid click sound.Usally cranks on next try.My question is can I just replace the solenoid?Does bendix need replacing too?Its a daily driver so i cant take it off the road right now to have starter rebuilt, besides it cranks fine,just like he other trucks.