• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Clicking, not turning the engine over.

m1008chevy

I have a 1986 M1008, and the starter will click but not turn over the engine. Its the gear driven model and I have just replaced it. The gap is between .02 and .06 without any shims. Any suggestions? Very frustrating after spending $230 on a new starter...

m1008chevy

Ill change my wording. When i go to turn the key I hear a click or clunk (like the flywheel is not lining up with the starter gear) If i turn the flywheel a little, it will start just fine. I have a gear reduction starter that says, "NO SHIMS". The batteries are brand new, as well as all the battery wiring from top to bottom.

Sergeant1983

I bought a spare starter for my M1009 and it's the smaller gear reduction style too. I had the same issue and I was thinking I had a starter going bad since it would do the same thing now and then. Click/clunk but would start unless I moved the flywheel by hand. But turned out to just be a connection on the firewall terminal block needed cleaning and tightening. Did you back check your connections? On a side thought, wondering if the brace that connects to the rear of the starter was still used with the newer smaller starter.

DeucesWild11

Did you check the voltage going to the starter? I don't know CUCV's but a similar situation with my 68 Firebird was getting low voltage, sometimes it would start 12V and other times a clunk or click, 8-10V. I wired up a generic solenoid to always get 12V and my problem was fixed. Not sure if that helps you at all..

Double check your ground as well.

m1008chevy

And the problem is back. It will click when the engine is cold, but after I get it started and the engine is warm I could turn it off and start without any issues. I checked the voltage at the ignition wire while cranking and I'm getting 10.78 volts. Is that enough to engage the solenoid after the truck has been sitting overnight. I have done the 12 volt conversion, and if I jump the purple wire with the red wire the starter will crank over the engine perfectly. Any help is appreciated.

DeucesWild11

Don't think 10.7 volts will do it. Sounds like the same problem I had as listed above. Get a $15 generic solenoid and that should do it. PM me if you want and I'll give you a call on how to wire it up. It's pretty easy

m1008chevy

Ok, I will purchase the one used in the Doghead relay modification and post my results tomorrow. Without the relay in place if I disconnect the ignition wire and check voltage it shows the full 12.78 volts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks