• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Dragging NHC

ClintA

So changing out the engine that came out of a M939 series truck into a M818 we put the starter that came with new engine, all worked fine with changing the front of engine. The starter was off the M939 series engine and it is dragging bad. Do I need to shim it back/out? It is fresh rebuilt so I don't think it is the solenoid is bad.
The original starter was broke into a pile of scrap from my nephew blowing the engine so that is out of the question, any advice would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advance, Clint

P.S. The new engine runs like a champ, got it from Kansas (goody hole place)

74M35A2

If there was a spacer on the flywheel housing, that needs to still be there. The spacer is a function of the engine /flywheel/housing combo, and not a function of the starter itself (spacer ways needs to stay on flywheel housing no matter which starter is used). Also, is this starter a known good one? Some places rebuild starters with a hammer. I've seldom seen a rebuilt starter work for a long time, and we all have seen new parts be bad.

Last edited:

ClintA

There was no spacer on the original flywheel housing, and we put the old housing on the new engine. I will change starters today and see if that fixes things, Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks