• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter fluid?

3dubs

I just won another M1009 on GL:doh: This time It says the batteries are dead, starts with a jump and starter fluid. I can put batteries in. But if it needs starter fluid does that mean the fuel pump needs replacement?

3dubs

I sure hope it is the glow plugs. At least a non diesel knowing guy like me can figure out how to replace those!

Can I just pick up and drive out with the M1009 or does it have to be put on a trailer. I can get paper tags and insurance. I can jump it and drive straight to a part store for batteries and have glow plugs with me. It would be really fun to call AAA and ask for a 24V jump.

3dubs

From MO to Houston I will have to either drive it or have brought down here for me. I will call the contact and ask the real condition. If it will start and keep running I will be good.

Nonotagain

With a lot of the smaller trucks being relocated from up north to a more southernly location, a lot of folks have complained about bent drive shafts.

Do you feel lucky or are you planning on taking a spare shaft with you?

3dubs

I will also try a post to see if anyone else is moving anything south. I will also see what I would have to pay a transport company. I know a driver that will do it for what they pay him. He owns his truck and trailer but it depends on where he is and where he is going. It is normally cheaper to go get it and drive. Sleeping in the back with a blanket is better than some of the places I have slept before.

Wile E. Coyote

I just won another M1009 on GL:doh: This time It says the batteries are dead, starts with a jump and starter fluid. I can put batteries in. But if it needs starter fluid does that mean the fuel pump needs replacement?
Glow plugs, more than likely, as everyone else has said. If you're going to try and start it with starter fluid, disable the glow plug circuit (pull the card out of the black box hanging up above the fuse box) first, then use just the slightest whiff of starting fluid - you shouldn't even be able to count to 'One' - just almost tap the nozzle. Try start - repeat if necessary - but don't be tempted to use more than a microsquirt during any start attempt or nasty things can happen :) Usually too much starting fluid makes it pre-detonate on the compression stroke which makes it sound as though the starter is really laboring (eyeeah...ee..yea..eaAH...eee..YUMP), but provided there's fuel and you're persistent with the minute squirts of starting fluid - they usually go. Usually.

If you use starting fluid while the glow plugs are cycling - the heads swell and fail instantly - making them a real treat to remove later on when you want to change them out.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks