• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter help needed!!!! (Hatz Diesel Engine)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey folks,

A while ago I bought a surplus 2 cylinder air cooled diesel engine from Kansas (Ft. Riley) gimpyrobb and I made the very looooong journey out to get it, and I have spent the last month or two getting it put back together. It came fairly complete, but I had to fabricate an intake filter set-up for it and fabricate an exhaust for it, as well as get my hands on a fuel tank and mount all of that stuff.

Well, Friday afternoon I finally completed all of that stuff, filled her up with oil and tried to turn it over. Only to find out that the starter is shot!!!!!!!

The starter engages, but stalls out when the engine get's to the compression stroke. It tried to fire a few times, but I think I still have quite a bit of air in the system that I can't really bleed out with no starter. I think the engine will be a good runner, but I have to get my hands on a starter.

I took it over to a rebuild shop close by today and had them look at it, and they reported back that it is toast!!!! All of the above mentioned parts are readily available through the manufacturer, but since it's in industrial diesel engine, everything is outrageously expensive; that's why I made my own stuff listed above.

Does anybody out there have a line on a starter that will fit a Hatz 2G30 or 2G40 engine? It's a bosch starter model 0 001 110 033. Hatz part number 50496700. It's a 12 v, 9 tooth, 2KW starter. I called a distributor, and they want $483.80 for a new starter. The repair shop wants $250 for a new bosch or over $150 for an aftermarket starter. I checked e-gay, and there is one listed for $115 plus shipping (aftermarket of course, probably chinese), and that's the best deal I've found yet....but being laid off I can't really spend that much for a starter for an "un-necessary" project.

I don't care if it's used, as long as it's in good working order...any help ya'll can provide would be appreciated.

southdave

Hey sped
I got a couple of starter off snow blowers that are 110 v ac off 12hp honda motor would that help you for the short term it go nine teeth. I also have some other off various crap let me look

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JT and Dave,

Thanks for the tips and offers. I went out today and picked up my parts from the starter shop. They showed me what was wrong with it (most of which I already knew). The brushes of course, the planetary train is plastic on these starters (imagine that) and that was broken into many pieces. And the armature they said was throwing solder from being hot. If it was just the brushes and planetary, they said no problem, but the armature was what was making it not worth rebuilding. Of course I asked them how much the armature was, and I got the response of about $100. Till you add the labor onto the parts prices, it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket one....but that's not my style

Sooooo, last night I was digging on the internet...GOD LOVE THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!

I found this company, Wagner Alternators and Supplies Inc. in CA, who happens to sell starter and alternator parts. This morning I called them and got price quotes for a new planetary train and brushes, and had them quote me a price on the armature as well. The planetary train was $11 and the brushes a whopping $4. The armature was the pricey item at $50.

Since I'm not going to be starting this thing on a daily basis like it probably was in a former life, I decided to buy the parts and repair it myself. I'm not replacing the armature though, simply because I know it's still working (is it working as well as it should, probably not) and since, like I said, I'm not going to be starting this thing daily but rather probably once a month I think I can get by with the original armature.

So, for a bank breaking cost of $15 plus shipping, I'll have the parts here later in the week and I'll re-assemble this starter myself and see what happens. If I need to buy the armature, I know it's only going to cost $50 more and some of my time to take it back apart. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got the parts for the starter today and put the starter back together....but it's still doing the same thing. When the starter engages the flywheel, it's like the overrunning clutch in the Bendix is slipping back or something. I'm sure these go bad from time to time, but when you move it around by hand it's working exactly as it's supposed to work...maybe when it get's the added pressure of the flywheel then it's slipping. I'm going to talk to the starter shop tomorrow and see what they think.

On the bright side, I was able to get it to turn the flywheel enough, with the aid of a little ether and get the motor to run....she sounds GREAT!!!! No knocks, pings or odd noises. I did notice that I'm going to have to re-mount the fuel tank to another spot as the mounting bracket I have made up for it now vibrates like nothing I've ever seen before.

The people at Hatz said this motor should slow idle at about 900 RPM's...they were wrong!!! I had the governor turned back to where I thought 900 RPM's should be and it wouldn't start or stay running without the ether being sprayed into the intake. When I got it running again, while I was giving it small shots of ether to keep it running I moved the throttle arm by hand and it stayed running under it's own devices then. So I readjusted the slow idle stop screw to the lowest stable speed I could achieve and put the tach on it. It Idles at about 1300 RPM's pretty nicely, and full throttle is about 2150 RPM's unloaded, which it's supposed to be a 2100 limit, so with a load it should be pretty good.

I'll put up some pics and maybe a video of it running tomorrow.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I know it's not tomorrow...LOL,

But after getting back from the GA rally, I ordered a new starter drive (the geared clutch) and installed it today. So I rebuilt the starter for a grand total of $51.08...and it works GREAT!!!!!

I took a few pictures and a movie if anybody wants to see them. I need to re-mount the fuel tank once I get it installed on the compressor, or at least stiffen it up some, because it vibrates too bad to leave it where it is. It starts up just fine and runs pretty well considering the abuse it probably took being in what-ever equipment it was in when the military had it.

All I need to do now mount is on the compressor and buy a new "QD" hub for the sheave and get an unloader for the compressor and it will be ready to make air for me. :twisted: :twisted:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wrqu2W1_po[/media]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks