• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter MEP 3 issues

panic_button

My starter worked flawlessly for the first 2 weeks I had the MEP. After a week sitting and a week of rain I went to fire it up today to add my digital Hz meter, and the starter didn't want to engage the flywheel, just the dreaded spinning sound. After a few attempts it caught but then the solenoid would not release, causing the starter to spin. Turning the switch to off had no effect and pulling the DC breaker did nothing, had to pull the battery cable for it to stop. I tried several more times with the same results. I sprayed it down with PB blast and will let it sit over night and try in the morning to see what happens.

Per TM, Starter is a Type 1, can I use Type 2?

Any thoughts on what else to do? Or just replace the starter?

panic_button

After sitting overnight, I fired it up again last night. No problems with the starter and fired up fine. I did notice that the rubber sheet around the acutator is torn, maybe it rusted up and the PB freed it up. I spayed it with white grease so hopefully it will help. I also got a waterproof ATV cover for the set to keep the water off the unit. It fits great and was only $40 from Wally World.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks