• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Relay Bracket

cd456

I am replacing my deuce front wiring harness and have run into a slight snag. My old harness was literally falling apart and most of the tag numbers are long gone. It must have been an old style wiring harness because it only had one wire going from the start switch to the starter. From the CAD wiring diagram I assume it was wire #214. I have removed the old front wiring harness and installed the new one (NSN 2590-01-016-3187 p/n 11677081). The "new style" front wiring harness has 3 wires for the starter/starter relay/starter solenoid. My deuce doesn't have the magnetic start relay. I have a WSE-4101E starter relay on order. My issue is I don't have the correct mounting bracket that bolts to the engine block above the starter and I have searched high and low and can't seem to find one. Before I fab something does anyone know where to get a correct starter relay mounting bracket? I'm looking for NSN 5340-00-491-0325 part #10937576 which it item #7 here:

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/manual/4195/TM 9-2320-386-24P.pdf

Also, can someone confirm what the threads are supposed to be in the side of the engine block for this bracket? The correct bolt is supposed to be NSN 5306-01-112-4340 part # B1821BH038C075L which should be a 3/8-16 x 3/4" long but a 3/8-16 doesn't want to start at all in any of the 3 tapped holes in the side of my engine. Before I break out the taps I would like to confirm the holes should in fact be 3/8-16.

Lastly, I would appreciate any photos of the starter relay and bracket mounted on someone's engine for clarity on how this thing is supposed to mount. I have no idea and am making guesses here. Like does the bracket mount to the upper 2 holes or lower 2?

I'm still not sure I understand why the starter relay is even needed/what purpose it serves that the starter solenoid doesn't. My truck started fine before without it. What problem does it solve?

Thanks for any help/advise/photos anyone can share on a M35A2 starter relay. I have searched and read the threads I can find on the wiring and troubleshooting, etc. My issues are mostly that my truck didn't have one and I'm trying to add one and have never seen one and how it's mounted before. I think I understand the wiring. I know I'll have to fab a couple of jumper wires.

Thanks,
Chuck

searls84

Here are pictures of the relay/bracket/wiring. Wire 74 is the small wire to the top of the relay and wire 10 is the small that goes to the bottom of the relay. I can look around tomorrow and see if I have a bracket laying around but it honestly looks like it would be pretty easy to fab one up. If I don't have one and you don't feel like fabing one give Boyce Equipment a call, they surely should have a take off one to sell you.

Attachments

Last edited:

cd456

Thanks for the photos! They are very helpful. I can fab something up if need be but was hoping to locate a "correct military" bracket. I'll give Boyce a call tomorrow.

The photos also help with the wiring. What wire goes to the top right post on the relay in the photos. I can't see any wire there. Is that a grounded post in common with the relay case? (I don't have my relay yet to look at.)