• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Relay.......Where is it?

Dakota005

I'm new to the website and to the CUCV life so please forgive me if I sound foolish. My first CUCV just arrived yesterday and would not start. I found the main starter cable and the ground cable coming off the firewall to behind the intake both fried. I replaced both cables and would like to replace the relay, however, I cannot locate it. Can any help?

Thanks

Dakota005

Ok found out where its supposed to be but its missing. The plug is there but no relay. This truck was running when i bought it. It has been converted to a 12 volt system. Any ideas? Should i install a relay or find out what has been done to the truck to not have one. I'm at a loss right now. Truck did slowly turn over then nothing. The headlights all work bright but maybe not enough power to turn it over.

Westech

CPL
O man if it has been converted there is nothing we can do to help you. you are 100% on your own.
It seams that every Hack that converts a CUCV to 12V does it a little differently.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats what I was afraid of. Is it possible to convert it back or is that unreasonable.
How good at electricial are you ? It's possible but alot easier if you can find a donor truck to get the wiring out of . Your best bet is study the TM's and try to find one thats getting parted out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All depends on how bad it was hacked. Post some pics of the battery hookups, alternator(s), and any other hacked wiring and we see which way you should go

dstang97

Your best bet is to make some friends here and have them come over with their CUCV. Put them side by side and fix what ever you have to fix. Thats how i was able to convert back to OEM. OEM is by far the way to go.

Dakota005

Thanks for the help everyone. I will post some pics as soon as I can. OEM will be the wasy to go. Hopefully I won't get to far in over my head.

M1008driver

I am sure you know, but if your CUCV is converted you have a 12 volt starter and will need to get a 24 volt when you make the change to milspec. Do that doghead starter relay mod too when you make the change just in case. It is not hard at all and will save a meltdown of all your work.

I still would convert back to the 24 volt system and keep my vehicle close to milspec as I can. I had big ideas in the beginning until I read the TM's and realized it was better for me to stay milspec...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks