• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Shim Question

tgtaylor64

My M1009 starter ever so often grinds. I let it cool for a minute or so and it engages just fine. Should I remove the starter shim to allow the starter and flywheel to engage about 1 or 2 mm closer? Would this harm anything?

epartsman

Safely jack it up and support it. Automotive lift strongly recomended so you can stand underneath it. Pull the cover. Have a buddy start it and watch your flywheel. They warp and teeth magicaly start breaking or chipping. If it tracks straight and true with no teeth issues inspect the starter which you should do anyway for bad teeth in the bendix. You may have oil leaking into your starter causing the bendix not to engage fully. You MUST have the support bracket mounted and if it is missing you will have problems. Starter and Flywheel are available on *Bay for $108 and $55 respectively with free shipping. Make sure you get the starter from DB electrical (1 year no hassle warranty I have bought 2 so far w/no issues). You will be getting the new gear reduction style which works awesome and you will need to get the new style starter bracket from your local dealer which runs about $20.00. The part number is listed in one of the other threads just search "starter bracket" If you are pre 86 you may still need to shim but once it is all replaced it will start ohh soo much better and turn over faster. I just replaced mine.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can buy carded packets of them at most autoparts houses under the "Help" brand