• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter solenoid problem on my M1009?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I have a 1986 M1009 and have had this problem only twice since I bought it in the last 3 months. The first time I was driving my CUCV and stopped for less than 5 minutes. When I came out and turned the ignition key the glow plugs did their thing like normal. But when I tried to engage the starter there was nothing. No clicking no nothing. Tried a few more times and would not engage the starter. I let it set for about 5 hours then when I tried it again it started just like normal. That was over a month ago in temps around 45. I did check and the battery cables are very tight on both batteries. Yesterday I had the same problem. Turned the key, glow plugs light came on then went off, turned the key and nothing. I moved the transmission shifting lever a little and still nothing, tried the key again before I turned it off still nothing. I then turned the key off and started the same process and again nothing. Then with the key not engaged I just shook the whole truck and tried to start it again. Bam it started. I drove it home. turned it off and started again no problem. Started again this morning just fine.
Wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check the positive cable that fastens to the starter solenoid and make sure it is tight. Then check all cables on all the buss bar connections. Look really close at the cables for a bad spot(green or corroded spot) also.

the skull

Mine had a similar episode, the battery cable was bad between
the negative post on the rear battery and the solenoid on the firewall.
I put a jumper there, it cranked right up. I have always been
suspicious of that cable, it's a homemade one

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them both out. Funny thing is it's still working as normal and has only happened twice in the last 3 months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks