• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter support bracket?

hoplite666

Drove my new toy home yesterday. Just going over it today. It appears the rig is lacking the starter support bracket. At least I see nor feel with my hand any sort of support bracket that matches what I see in the attached diagram. I used the search feature and came up with the GM part number/bolt size that ill need to get. Here is a picture of the starter assembly. I assume I will be using that bolt on top of the starter to fasten it to the bracket.
Riiiight??

thanks
Starter.jpg

starter support.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does look like the newer gear reduction starter. If it indeed is, the bracket is still available at the dealer.

starter support.jpg

Last edited:

hoplite666

I'm a little scared to get up under there and look again. Whats the likelihood that the bolt that goes into the engine block is sheared off? I cant think of why else whoever changed the starter would not have re installed the support bracket..

hoplite666

I did some more digging using the search feature and I guess the bracket may not have been re used because of the different style (gear reduction) starter in place. I found a part # for the other style bracket. Just ordered it from gm parts giant.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM 23502557 Is the part I hope you ordered. This is the part
for the gear reduced type starter. Available from GMParts direct.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bracket is not a requirement for new members but it should be in place on the truck.

(Thread moved from the "Requirements for new members" forum to the CUCV forum).

hoplite666

GM 23502557 Is the part I hope you ordered. This is the part
for the gear reduced type starter. Available from GMParts direct.
Yup. That's what I ordered.
Do I just reuse the same bolt that is securing the heat shield for the block mounting point?

Last edited:

hoplite666

I purchased the new style bracket my gear reduction style starter last year and still haven't installed it :/
For the life if me I cannot find a nut that will thread onto the stud to mount it. It's difficult to tell by feel and I can't get a good look at it. I suspect the threads are damaged.