• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter will not engage

84cucv1ton

just put in a new starter. throws the gear out, moves the motor like a 1". that it will not crank. started was tested and its good. cant think of what im missing? any ideas?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, are you saying that the starter engages, spins the engine over just an 1", then disengages and runs? sounds like you may have a flywheel alignment issue. Did you shim the starter? it may just be catching the flywheel for a little bit then slipping off. I've had that happen, although with lots of loud grinding...

tourdog

take your inspection cover off with a long screw driver pull the bendix out see were it is hitting the flex plate may need to take shim out to make the gear hit deeper in the teeth will take a while but keep tring when i put neww starter in i had to file the starter housing to get the right mesh once did that never had issue with it so keep tring you should be able to get it right

beanman1

hey guys also check your bolts a bent bolt will cause it to do the same looks good when all hooked up but when u turn the key the bent bolt will flex and bam no alighment