• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting cable for MEP016D?

445gsdss

Since I'm on a roll :) (TGIF!) I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction for obtaining or building a cable that could be used to externally power the starter on my MEP016d? I have a MEP002 that has a 24v battery bank for starting that I figured I could tap into if electric start (say for my wife) is required. I tried searching but must not be looking for the correct terms as nothing is coming up.

Thanks!

ETN550

Since I'm on a roll :) (TGIF!) I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction for obtaining or building a cable that could be used to externally power the starter on my MEP016d? I have a MEP002 that has a 24v battery bank for starting that I figured I could tap into if electric start (say for my wife) is required. I tried searching but must not be looking for the correct terms as nothing is coming up.

Thanks!
search the big auction site for slave cable. Adapters are available to go from the old two prong style to the newer plug. An adapter for the 002 and the slave cable will allow you to jump the 016D off of the 002.

Isaac-1

Just note MEP-002a's may have either 1 or two prong style NATO slave cables, so you will want to check which style you have. Personally I added an Anderson SB-350 connector and short leads to mine so I could use it with the jumper cables I carry in my truck which have jumper cable clips on one end and the other end has a permanent anderson connector mounted under the hood of my truck (also use it to run a cable to the winch on my car hauler trailer when needed)

1800 Diesel

Just note MEP-002a's may have either 1 or two prong style NATO slave cables, so you will want to check which style you have. Personally I added an Anderson SB-350 connector and short leads to mine so I could use it with the jumper cables I carry in my truck which have jumper cable clips on one end and the other end has a permanent anderson connector mounted under the hood of my truck (also use it to run a cable to the winch on my car hauler trailer when needed)
Ike,

I looked at a few of those connectors online, some with cables connected & others without. Would you be able to post a few photos of the actual configuration you're using? I've got a couple MEP-016Ds & would like to set up a way to use the onboard starter, vice pull-start.

Thanks,

Kevin

Isaac-1

Sure will try to get photo tomorrow, I did not mention it above, but they way I use this is I simply plug the anderson connector end into the the connector at he generator, and use the clips on the other end as you would normally use jumper cables.

ETN550

If the decompression is used the 016D will start with a 12 volt jump as well.

Before I had my Mil slave cable I put a 5/8 bolt in the center recepticle (+) and hose clamped a steel bar to the outside (-). Then used heavy jumper cables off of a 12 volt battery. Starts good if the decompression lever is used. Good to know in an emergency or poor man's electric start. Try it.