• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting dilemma

Soaper

So I purchased an m1009 through craiglist and I had an friend bring it up here. Lot of talk with the owner from GA. Got hit in passenger side and he parked it an few years ago. He took some parts but nothing major. I have an civilian blazer I need parts for and got an good deal.
But this is dumped in the middle of my driveway and don't want to tow it around. The engine is going into my van. But first and foremost I can't get it started. There's no ignition switch. Just some guts behind it. If I'm right on thinking this. I should be able to run an constant power to the INJ pump and an jumper to glowplugs*which I'll take off* and cross the starter out. Technically it'd start and I could get it into my garage so I can start tearing it down? I think.
Can anyone confirm this. I can't push or drag it in just cause of how my driveway to garage to fence ratio is. Lol
If y'all can help me out I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

richingalveston

If it is still 24V.
Try a jumper to the glow plug relay first **from the front battery**, you can hear it if it is clicking. If so use it to warm the glow plugs. Install a small jumper from the front battery to the IP (where pink/red wire is). Your glow plugs, the power that triggers the glow plug relay and the IP power are all 12 volt so you want to use a jumper connected to the front battery. Your starter is 24V so you want to make sure the batteries are wired properly and jump the relay and not 12V jumper cable to the starter.
If you have an IR thermometer you can check each glow plug to see if it is heating.

If you do not plan to make your van 24V then you will need to change the starter but not the glow plugs or IP solenoid.

You are starting a wrecked vehicle, be careful. I would be sure the t-case is in neutral and the tranny in Park. E-brake on etc...
The IP solenoid can stick and it is the only way to shut it down other than cutting the fuel. You could remove your jumper and it still not stop and if the wreck caused it in any way to stick in gear you would have a runaway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks