• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting for the 1st time

Dead pilot

So trying to get my M37 started for the 1st time in over 2 years or so they say. So I drained the bad fuel and replaced the fuel filter and put new batteries in it. And I tried to start it and it will turn over and try to start. After a little bit it start and run then dies out. I'm not sure why it's doing that. So any thoughts? Should I take out the plugs and see if they fouled? The carb is getting the fuel into the motor cause I can smell it when I flooded it. So looking for advice. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe bad fuel was in the lines and that was sent up to the carb. Might need to purge that out and make sure the carb has fresh gas in it. Also if you flood it, it will take a while for the plugs to dry out. Also make sure the choke is working, it needs it to start.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull all of the plugs, clean and gap them. Have you checked to see how strong of a spark you have? Ground the body of a plug out on a head bolt and have someone crank it over. (Make sure you have the trans in neutral and wheel chocked)

Have you looked at the points? Clean and set the gap.

Pull the fuel line before the pump by the shut off valve and blow air back to the tank. Have someone listen if they hear bubbling in the tank.

Check that your fuel cap is in the vented position. Its on the inside of the cap.

Check out the G741.Org site, its M37 only and has tons of tech advice. Please make sure to enter your truck into the registry.

Bert

cobra5

I would suggest after you get it running to check your oil. The rubber diaphragms in the fuel pumps don't like ethanol. Since its been sitting your fuel pump diaphragm can be leaking fuel into your oil pan. I'm not suggesting this is your issue with it dying, just a word of advice after you get it running. Also I'd change the oil after you get it running.

Dead pilot

Thanks both highway and cobra for the advice. I'm going through the plugs and points today. And go through the fuel system. Also I'll register my truck too.

I was planning on doing a oil change once I got it running. But I didn't know that the rubber diaphragm didn't like ethanol. Good advice thanks.

nattieleather

How long does it run before it dies? If it is for a few seconds (less than a minute) then it may be the fuel pump. Enough fuel gets into the bowl to start and then when it's empty the pump is not sending enough to keep it running. Remember you need three things to make it go varoom. Spark, Fuel, and Air. Sounds like you have all three just not consistent.

Dead pilot

So from what I was able to find out today, it looks like someone did a bypass of fuel pump and put an electric one in. The one on the side of the motor doesnt have any line connected to it right now but fuel still gets up to the carb and the is pump in the back of the truck near the tank on the frame.
So I took off the carb and cracked it open and sure enough it looked pretty bad in there, so a rebuild kit has been ordered. Pulled the plugs they were fouled up pretty bad cleaned them up and no difference so I ordered new ones. And I ordered points rotor and one other thing to refresh the whole mess. So in a week those parts will be coming in and I will try again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks