• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting/Power issues

Preach

I have been having issues with my batteries draining and I fried a starter a few weeks ago. Now it will not start at all, and nothing clicks. Might be ignition issue? Starter is fine, batteries have power, but nothing happens. Checked the starter relay and it seems to be clicking well. Any ideas? I am having to charge my batteries every once in a while, and just assumed it was because I make short trips most of the time. I'm really getting frustrated and the electrical is so convoluted on this thing. I have an '85 Chevy CUCV, 6.2 diesel; 24 volt; Thank you.

Preach

cucvrus

I think you have a bad starter my friend. Please check the voltage of the batteries and have both batteries load tested individually. You need a strong set of batteries to get the truck started. I would be willing to guess the drain is on the front battery alone. That is what 99% of the truck runs on. Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed? Any? Stereo, fog lamps anything? If you do disable them by pulling the fuse and check if you still have a draw on the system. But low amperage and voltage is hard on the entire starting system. If you have dead/weak batteries you can install 10 relays and the out come will be the same. Check all the fusible links on the right side bus bar and make sure everything is good. Make sure all connections are tight and the battery cables are tight and not the bolt on ends. You may have a bad starter now. Check it out and report back. But changing the starter relay may not change a thing. Good Luck. Happy Holidays. Remain Calm. Take a break and rethink the entire issue. It will ALL work out in the end.

snowtrac nome

I will agree with both above posts low voltage will fry the contacts on the relay by they steering column it will also smoke the starter loose belts will cause charging issues also 2 good 31 series batterys are a must at one time I had a spare 24 starter don't know if I still have it I accidently installed on my 12 v 6.2 twice.

cucvrus

No shotgunning here. The fact is he has a bad starter , a bad relay, or weak /bad batteries. That is rifle accuracy. Not much that was not covered in hundreds of other posts. Nothing different about a CUCV then a standard vehicle. If it has low voltage/amperage or a bad relay or starter it will not start. Don't take an expert to solve that problem. Good luck Preach and please report back. I am still betting on the items I listed. Since I covered most of them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks