• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting problem with M970 fuel trailer pump

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a M970 fuel trailer with a Onan 4 cly motor on it. I changed the fuel filters and flashed the lines out, than I tried to start it and I can not get it started. I think it is the same motor that is on the MEP003A.
It turns over but will not fire up. The injectors or not getting fuel so I guess the IP pump is gummed
up with old diesel.
I guess I need some help with taking it off and replacing the ip pump. I am not sure about how to set the timing on this type of motor.

I also noticed the fuel stop solenoid is not pulling back. Does it need to pull back when you hit the starter switch?

Any help would be apprenticed!!

Attachments

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone rebuilt an injector pump from a MEP-003A before that can help with my problem?

I think the fuel shutoff is working ok.

Munchies

Yes that is roughly the same as an 003.
Is the throttle arm rising after the solenoid comes up? They are not connected, the throttle must rise via the governor arm (hopefully the same as an 003a here) If it is not, or only a little , gently persuade it, a bit at a time.

Read about stuck plungers here. Next shot is the plunger, tap tap tap method. After that, and you KNOW it has a good fuel supply, you are still not getting good high psi fuel to the injectors , the pump needs to come off.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well after some help from Jerry here on S/S and from other I got the motor going.
The pump was all gummed up and the plunger was sticking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks