• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting then nothing

choll

Im stumped. Just replaced the vaccume lines on the blazer nothing else. Got in to start it, starter cranked then in mid crank it stopped now I have NOTHING no power no lights no dash lights. Is there a fuse somewhere that would take the entire system down. This was a perfectly starting and running truck until 10mins ago.

I did check all the fuses. I hope someone has an answer

Chuck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the bottom most fuse.

Use a DVM and check for voltage at the front and rear batteries(+ terminal).

Check for 12v at the stud on the firewall(near the GP relay)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they on vacation, or are they on a work related job?

choll

Just moved back to las vegas from seattle, they are still in storage with my 2 1946 jeeps. I will be going back to get them if I can get this blazer back running. This has me stumped if I smelled something burning I would think it was a direct ground somewhere.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am suspecting a bad battery cable connection(battery, starter, buss bar on firewall), cable, or 12v fuseable link at the firewall.

blackhueys

check the fusible links under hood right behind the rear battery where all the wires go. Mine did as you say and that's what my problem was I just replaced it with a circuit breaker.

AndrewH

The local parts place should have fuseable links. Have you got any test equipment? A 12v light and some wires? Look for power at the terminals on the junction on the firewall near the GP solenoid.

rnd-motorsports

sound like you have upset a conection while changing the vac hose like stated check ground cables. If no power inside the cab ground is on the pass back corrner of the engine between the fuel filter and vac pump there is a copper like cab groundand a couple others on the same post check them the starter relay and all lights and inside dash uses them grounds!

choll

Here is what I have so far. This morning went out turned key to on position dash board lighted up as usual, turned key everything went dim tried again everything black.

Check the voltage at batteries each had 12.4 volts, both had a combo of just over 25v, checked at junction rail on fire wall just over 25, checked at fuseable link going into that big resistor on fire wall 25v

What should I have at the relay on the drivers side, glow plug I think. Going out to check the grounds now. Another update in a little while.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should have 24 volts at the GP relay(unless the GPs are cycling).

When you were taking those voltage measurements, where was your negative meter lead? Was it on the front battery negative terminal, or on the engine or chassis for ground?

choll

Battery should I try a body/motor ground. I dont think the glow plugs were cycling I have a button I press to get them working. I also just replaced the starter relay in the cab. Same issue turn key everything goes black

choll

Mistaken1
You were correct!!!! I would have never thought of that because the batteries are less than a year old. The front one was bad. took it back to auto zone and they replaced it for free.
Boy did I over think this, it was just weird that it happened in mid crank when starting. No signs at all of the battery starting to fail. Thanks for everyones help.
Replacing the vac line fixed the shifting issue I was having.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks