• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Starts and Runs" M1009 not running...

linx310

"Starts and Runs" M1009 not running...

Got a call from the company delivering my M1009. He says they tried to get it going at the GL lot but it just turns but wont start.

It was listed as "starts and runs" but we all know how those descriptions go.

It is being delivered this afternoon.

What are some things I should look for right away? Old fuel? Air in the IP lines?

linx310

According to the TMs I should do the following:

Bleed the air out of the system using the bleeder valve.

If that doesn't work check and drain fuel filter of water.

I am going to try following the TMs first before I go checking the glow plugs and other items.

BTW would adding a can of seafoam to the diesel already in the tank be a good idea or should I just drain it all out?

I would do the GPs first. In my experience with the last 10 CUCVs I've bought, the ones that would not start with a fresh battery charge fired right up with a new set of GPs. However, if it really start and run before, try a very small squirt of Rosanol lighter fluid into the air intake. Rosanol is a little wetter than starting fluid, and is a lot easier on the diesel engine than starting fluid, which is basically a big no-no.
If she fires up for a second or two with the squirt of Rosanol, than your problem may be the fuel system. If she does not fire at all with the Rosanol, than it is more than likely your GPs or even their controller. Do you hear the solenoid click to life when you are warming up the GPs and the dash light comes on telling you to wait? If you have the seatbelt buzzer going, it may be hard to hear the click from inside the cab.

linx310

Got the truck.

On the hood some one wrote "Won't Start" on the hood...so much for the "starts and runs" description by GL.

I tried to start it a few times. When I turn the key I see no wait light coming on at all and here no buzzer.

All the other lights that should come on do though.

The engine turns just fine and the batteries seem brand new with a full charge.

When my brother gets here I am going to try and follow the TM by bleeding the system.

Last edited:
If your "wait" light is not coming on, your GPs are not warming up. You can waste your time bleeding the system, but it aint going to help. Do you know where your GP controller card is under the dash? It is in a big plastic box located near the fuse panel. There is a tab on each side you will have to unclip to open it up. Either that, or someone might have already done this for you if the card is missing...

linx310

Got it running!

Some one installed the glow plug card in up side down.

It started right away!

I was just coming in to post this and noticed akonitony had the same idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks