• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STE/ICE diagnostic port, Atlanta area

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Does anyone in the Atlanta area have one of those STE/ICE-R kits?
That you plug into the STE/ICE port on the CUCV to test the
eletrical system?

If so, please let me know. I have a question or two to ask you.

Thank you...

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask away, maybe someone not in the Atlanta area can answer them.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

The reason I mentioned the Atlant area is.
Because I was wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area that has one,
can hook it up to my STE/ICE port, to check for any issues I may not be aware of.

I would be willing to pay them to test it, as long as it did not cost me an arm and a leg,
or my first born (especially since I have no children of my own.)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very few people have a working unit. Even if they do the units really don't tell you much.

They are NOT like the ODB-II units on the new cars.

Keith_J

It monitors fuel pressure in the filter housing, engine speed and alternator voltage. Nothing you cannot measure with simple tools.

STE-ICE was a great idea but terrible implementation. It was the least used tool in the shop set, I never heard of it being used.

jdknech

It monitors fuel pressure in the filter housing, engine speed and alternator voltage. Nothing you cannot measure with simple tools.

STE-ICE was a great idea but terrible implementation. It was the least used tool in the shop set, I never heard of it being used.
I may be stepping out on thin ice... but if you could monitor engine speed, does that mean theres a way to hook in a tach?:!:

cpf240

I may be stepping out on thin ice... but if you could monitor engine speed, does that mean theres a way to hook in a tach?:!:
The STE/ICE port has a connection to the tach output of GEN1, passed through a tach buffer. There is at least one SS member who was able to find a tach that would run off that signal.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to read my manual again but I believe it states in there that a tach adapter is needed for the CUCVs. It's been a couple of years, but I've hooked my STE/ICE-R to my CUCVs and the only reading I could get without connecting adapters and transducers and what not to the engine, was battery voltage.
Mine was virtually "new" when I bought it, actually still is, looked as though it's never been used, and checked in 2004 or 6 or so. Self tests good and I have all of the adapters......except for the elusive CUCV tach adapter which was never part of the kit.
You're better off buying off the shelf automotive test equipment, because it's universal, has a warranty, and can be repaired.

CycleJay

Hi guys,
No big deal, it was just a thought to see what I could find out, if anything.

319: Since you have one of those STE/ICE-R kits, please let me know if
you ever want to sell it.

Thanks guys

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine won't be sale for a long long time. It's under lock and key and guarded by an Ex-GL employee driving a fork-lift.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to read my manual again but I believe it states in there that a tach adapter is needed for the CUCVs. It's been a couple of years, but I've hooked my STE/ICE-R to my CUCVs and the only reading I could get without connecting adapters and transducers and what not to the engine, was battery voltage.
Mine was virtually "new" when I bought it, actually still is, looked as though it's never been used, and checked in 2004 or 6 or so. Self tests good and I have all of the adapters......except for the elusive CUCV tach adapter which was never part of the kit.
You're better off buying off the shelf automotive test equipment, because it's universal, has a warranty, and can be repaired.
When I had mine, I tested my tach reading on my CUCV with just the W-1 cable and the STE/ICE itself. It doesn't need anything else to work, provided you've got your tach wire hooked up on the back of the GEN 1 alternator.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/72625-ste-ice.html#post1123244

Skinny

If you have a good multimeter, this diagnostic device is useless. It was stated before, it isn't like an OBDII car. Even older cars pre 95 have computers with serial data that will talk to a scan tool. The CUCV's have nothing. Save your money for a good fluke meter and an infared temp gun. Money better spent...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter