• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STE/ICE Kit use with CUCV

aboonski

I have tried to program an STE/ICE kit to accept inputs from my M1008A1 without success. I continue to get an error readout to indicate newer or updated software is needed for my application. My question is, have any members used their STE/ICE kits on their CUCVs where they actually work? If there is updated software for these things does anybody know the source or a Point Of Contact (POC) to call or email? I bought my kit from Fred who has one more that he is trying to sell right now for $100.00 - that's really a steal for one of these kits too because I did pay more for mine a while back and they sell for a bunch of money on Ebay. Anyway, I would sure appreciate hearing from anyone who has had success with the STE/ICE kit even if it is only to test voltage or fuel pressure! Thanks!

Al Broadbent

I haven't hooked mine up with success yet; I suspect something in the vehicle wiring is faulty since the STE/ICE doesn't come up at all when hooked in via the data cable, but works when I go direct off batteries.

airmech

I only hooked mine up once, but was able to get RPM, voltage readings, ect.. I don't really plan on doing much more until spring with the truck, so I'll test the capabilities then. Sorry not too much help, but they do work.

aboonski

Not sure what the source code is but I am guessing it has something to do with the government acquisition of the item?

Also wanted to mention that I did get a response when hooking into the data cable but when I punched in the code for my vehicle I only got error messages.

Airmech, I wish I knew how you got yours to function! Did your test kit have a date that it was last used prior to turnin to salvage?

Thanks for all your responses by the way.

aboonski

Some of the info on the case is as follows: Vehicle Test Meter Programmed With Software 1-8 93 0. There's a bar code on the front with 420KY (probably abbreviation for KY jelly the way I feel about this STE/ICE kit right now). The unit is made by RCA under contract No. DAAE07-87-C-A035 U.S. Army TACOM VEHICLE TEST METER STE/ICE Part # 12259265 Ser. No. 6627. The last calibration was made on 12 Dec 00 and the calibration was void on 7 Dec 01 (according to a DA Label 80, 1 Dec 77. One the case that houses everything the GL sticker had: NSN 4910012226569 DT ID: W15W3C81344308A and the original cost of $7,248.00 for this thing! If I pull it apart do you think I would find any computer codes on the inside of the meter?

appalacious

No, because the code I'm talking about is the actual meat of the software, and unless you can sense magnetic variation in solid state memory chips it won't be visible unless its on a cd, in a cd drive, displayed on the computer screen.

If there were any floppy disks or cd's that came with the device, that'd be where the source code was.
Or, possibly, a huge thick stack of papers. I've actually seen the source for some programs PRINTED OUT. I never thought that was done.

It might be a cool project to extract the source from one of those testers. Maybe one day...
Sorry I couldn't help.
J
:oops:

aboonski

Well thanks for trying! I may take the unit apart to see if there is anything inside that might be a clue to the mystery.

I just noticed that you are a garand owner too. I have an M1 garand sniper rifle with the cheekpiece and the side mount scope - very accurate! If you are going to the Florida rally I may bring it along with me to shoot at the firing range.

Alan

aboonski

Thanks Bjorn! It may help. I tried to do everything that the manual said regarding test entries and then vehicle code entry after that but could not get to do any tests when hooked into the cannon plug inside the truck (M1008). I have not tried hooking into just the battery so that will be next. Also, another member (Lavarok) plans to come over and we will try the thing on his M1009 to see if it will function for his vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

aboonski

No luck at all. Kept getting an error message to indicate voltage was not constant, etc. One of these days I hope there is someone on this web site who might know where to send the system to get it recalibrated or checked for defects. My STE/ICE unit looks like new so it may just be needing the proper software like I mentioned in previous posts. If you get yours to work please let me know your secret! Al Broadbent

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried mine on my M1009 tonight, connected it to the diagnostic connector, ran the confidence test, entered VID (23), checked battery voltage, works, no error messages. Will run additional tests this weekend when I have more time. Got it from Fred, has a contract date of 88. Also has a calibration sticker on it but no date!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used mine with great sucess. Mine has a tag showing a sofware update in 2003.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, have you connected the tachometer adapter and if so, to what/where?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the tac adaptor for engines with mechinical tachs? Like the M35's? I believe it reads RPM's from the alternator on a CUCV. And i should read them just fom plugging in at the connector on the dash. I did adjust the fast idle speed this way when i got it about a year ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks