• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel vs. Fiberglass hardtops?

Ridgerunner

As of now my Deuce has the canvas cab cover top (it's tan and my Deuce is green :cry:) So I'm in the market for a hardtop to replace the canvas cover. I'm new to the hobby, so I've never personally seen either one up close. What are the pros and cons of steel vs. fiberglass tops? Which one do you prefer and why?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gov't never bought fiberglass tops that I am aware of. The steel tops for Deuces are inevitably bent from people walking on them, or rusted. New ones are hard to come by and when you find them they are upwards of $600. Be careful buying these, the tops made for the 900 series 5 ton trucks are wider, but the stupid manufacturer, Landmark, put the same data plate on them as the 2 1/2 ton top, so people get them confused.

Once you attach the top, it a an ordeal to take it off, so your days of topless, windshield down driving will most likely be over.

ida34

Ridge,
You might drop a PM to TedG. I think he has an NOS hard top kit I am not sure but I think he can beat the $600 figure above. He is located in Eaton Rapids just south of Lansing so if you can pick it up you could save quite a bit on shipping.

Like stated above, steel tops are the only thing the military used. The fiberglass ones are aftermarket. I can't say much about the fiberglass ones as I have never used one but some have pointed out that the fiberglass is less durable when hit with something. I doubt you would find someone changing a steel top for a fiberglass. The fiberglass tops I have seen have bump outs on top to mount clearance lights which makes them not look correct for a military restoration.

Last edited:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ridgerunner, are you only opposed to the canvas because of your current color mis-match?

Those canvas tops are sweet. Get a fresh camo one and take care of it. You'll appreciate it.

The steel tops are out there if you want to get one and set it aside. As stated above, they can be pricey. You can ALWAYS sell either one. The soft-top's hardware is what will get the hits.

As for the fiberglass. If you don't care about "correctness," they'll do. They'll hold their shape. Won't dent. But, they'll crack or bust if Johnny F-A sits on it so his wife can take his picture sitting on your deuce.

2cents

ccequipment

I would say go with a steel one if you can find a good one thats not rusted, I have put on a new fiberglass top, and they take alot of time to make them fit right around the side windows if you want a tight fit. You will also have to lose the front soft top lip on the windsheild, making the soft top about impossible to put back on. You will also have to put in a rear window in the fiberglass if you like. While the fiberglass is a nice product when finshed and done right, I would take the time and find a steel one

Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner, are you only opposed to the canvas because of your current color mis-match?

As for the fiberglass. If you don't care about "correctness," they'll do.
No, I'm not put off by the color mismatch all that much. Don't get me wrong, it'd be great if it was green, but my canvas is older so it dosn't stand out like a "new bright" tan canvase cover would. I could always die it to give it a better color match if need be.

As for correctness, the truck is getting bobbed ;-) So an aftermarket top is fine. I personaly like the looks of a hard top better, so I'm just wanting some input on what people here prefer (pros and cons) before I go one way or the other with a top.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

m109guy

I would go for steel for many reasons already stated by others.

The soft tops are okay, and fun if you live in a warmer climate and like the wind in your hair. But the deuce is loud enough as it is, and the soft top doesn't help with the amount of noise in the cab.

I just picked up one for my M109 two weeks ago. Luckily I have access to a place that sells the insulated version pretty cheaply. I got the roof basket at the same time. Little too far for you though, as transport will not make it worth your wild.

Good luck on the bobbing!

SasquatchSanta

I have a glass top of The Yankee Rose (Rosie).

I'm attaching some pictures.

I'm told the fiberglass tops are quieter than the steel tops. The way they are designed I think there is more head room built into the glass tops.

What I don't like about the glass tops are the three pedestals on top. They look like they were for clearance lights. If so they should have installed five pedestals instead of three. To try to make it look better I installed clearance lights. I wish I hadn't because now I fear in doing so I may have opened up a can of worms. In installing the lights do I now need to install five lights on the back of the truck to be legal. The pedestals are something that would have been better left off.

I'll have to admit that one of the things the lights on the top accomplished is they lit up the area on top of the hood. Scooter, the dog mounted on the hood, used to fall off the hood, especially on Saturday nights when he's been out partying. Now that the top of the hood is lit up he can see where he is at and doesn't fall off as often.

Attachments

mudguppy

...In installing the lights do I now need to install five lights on the back of the truck to be legal. ....
not sure i've ever even seen matching clearance lights on the rear of a truck. pick-ups don't have them and not all trailers seem to have them. besides, i thought the only restriction/legality of a clearance or marker light is the color - no?

btw - where did you get your clearance lights - regular "kit" type? made for 24v or did you swap out 12v bulbs?

Ridgerunner

Well thanks for all the input on canvas, fiberglass and steel tops.......My decision was made up for me today, not by me, but by luck itself. I was searching Craigs list today and came across an ad for a 1971 6x6 Deuce for sale. In the description it said it comes with an extra transfer case, grill and hardtop. I called him and asked if he'd sell the hardtop seperately. He replied "yeah no problem" said it had been sitting out back for about three years now. So I drove the 70 miles north from here to look at it, I looked it over and offered him $80 and he took it. Loaded it in the truck, and now I have it home. It's a one-piece fiberglass top. The yellow is begging to be painted OD. It must have originally been on a Deuce that served as a piece of construction equipment with it painted that color :oops:

Attachments

Ridgerunner

great score! Are you going to try to install a window?
I will always run a cargo cover on the box when I get the truck done, so I don't think a window will add much benefit. If I do install a window, it'll just be a fixed window, I have no need for it to open.

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

not sure i've ever even seen matching clearance lights on the rear of a truck. pick-ups don't have them and not all trailers seem to have them. besides, i thought the only restriction/legality of a clearance or marker light is the color - no?

btw - where did you get your clearance lights - regular "kit" type? made for 24v or did you swap out 12v bulbs?
There is a cluster of three lights that are suppose to be on all non-military trucks. What remains to be seen is if in installing the clearance lights that I might someday be challenged to have the three cluster lights. I'm not going to worry about it until I get stopped but it "might" cause a problem.

I bought regular 12 volt clearance lights from Car Quest and installed 12 volt bulbs.