• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering: are we doing something wrong

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went to the Netherlands to pick up a used Ross steering gear including steering wheel etc. It is still mounted in a parts truck (M52A2), about the only thing left on the carcass.

We ran into a problem.

We cannot get off the steering wheel. That should be no problem; remove the entire steering wheel with steering shaft and tube and control house cover through the cabin. This worked fine with my M51. However, here we got into the next problem what we cannot explain: the shaft etc does not come out of the housing!

Look at TM ...34-2-2, page 13-67 and 13-68

1. Clamp holding the tube to the dashboard is open.
  2. Horn connector low on the tube is off.
  3. Clamp around the steering jacket is free and open
  4. All four bolts from the connection to the control house or shaft house (whatever you call it) are out.
  5. Two people checked and re-checked, everything is free and the shaft-tube assembly should come out easily.
  6. We managed to get the control house cover including tube and shaft out of the control house for about 3/4 inch, and not a mm further????

Now we got it this far, it quite easily slips back in and out for this space, but stops at the same spot and will not continue to go out any further, also not with a taper inserted between house and house cover and hammering it in to widen the gap (with restrained force).

With my M51A2, once I had the first 1/2 inch, the thing came free without a problem, but this thing got stuck somehow somewhere, and we do not know why. The steering assembly feels good, so we do not want to start hammering too much on it, or wrecking the steering wheel by trying to get it off.

DID WE FORGOT SOMETHING?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks