• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column question

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you remove the horn button, retaining nut and pull the steering wheel, what should be left? After the wheel comes off is there just the upper "bearing" that the steering wheel presses down on the outer steering column that centers it on the inner column, or is there a spring and retaining clip as illustrated in some of the manuals, or are they actually part of the upper "bearing"?

devilman96

The spring goes between the wheel and bearing... Pretty stout spring about 1.250L .800ID and .180 dia wire... Not exact but close to it anyways.

A column could function without it but it would vibrate and shift a lot I would think...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing that spring is what holds the bearing together (it's kind of cheap). Now where to get one-saturn and memphis do not have them???

devilman96

No... the bearing is held together by a small snap ring that is not visible from the outside of the column. A very cheap design made out of stamped sheet metal parts rather than hardened races. The bearing is 26.45 from Memphis, if yours is in pieces I would replace it and be very careful assembling it as that is what breaks them (as me how I know this)... Usually the shaft impacting the bottom of the bearing while being slid into place cracks the bottom of the cup and sends the snap ring into the abyss of the column housing.... oops!!!

No one I know of list the spring as it is easy to replicate or find something that works... If it will fit over the shaft and is about 1/8th or so in spring diameter and about 1 to 1 1/4 long it will work... If you are bent on having OEM try asking around here and one of the guys parting a truck can prolly help you... If no luck try Matt in Live Oak, FL... search for his contact info... I know he prolly has 200 laying on the ground! Or when buying the bearing If you ask the guys at Memphis (nicely) to ask one of the shop guys to find you a used one they usually will...

If your bent on a NOS spring SECO prolly has it... http://www.secoaugusta.com/spare_parts.htm I consider them an "avoid at all cost vendor" as their prices are usually 300-400% higher than anyone else as they fully believe that US toilet seats are worth $500 each... but when it comes to rare or hard to find items they usually have "it" in stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks