• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Knuckle Boots where to purchase?

armytruckdiesel

I noticed one of my steering knuckle boots is starting to get a small crack. Where is the best place to purchase a new boot? My main concern purchasing from a place that has boots thats are fresh and not old rubber. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Andy

acetomatoco

You really want old ones.. real surplus.. cuz the newer ones from the land or rice and tea are made of crummy non ozone resistant rubber in most cases... Get some fresh made US ones from one of the old line dealers.. ACE

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you tell them apart? I got one from Memphis some time ago and it has no markings except for the number 8376530.
My old one (from the 8x8) has "TOP" and "oz" marked on it.
Zipper on the new one is Cad plated (golden) and bigger, the original is zinc colored.
The new one smells like my old wet suit.
Any clues to what is what?

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would HIGHLY discourage the boots coming in from Korea. I've purchased a few and returned them all. The non-USGI boots use a poorer quality rubber, the sewing is usually terrible, and the zippers are of poorer quality (hold a light to them when zipped, and tell me what you see).

Buy USGI surplus boots, either the zipper or non-zipper type. Non-zipper is the best, but much more work to replace.

http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Mil...923 M925/Truck Repair Progress/Wheel Service/

I've got the fresh non-zipper boots for $20ea or two for $30.

http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Surplus Parts For Sale/5 Ton Front Axle CV Boot/

The USGI zipper boots can be had from John Winslow at (252) 883-2509.

I am a strong proponent of the non-zipper boots, especially if you've never personally torn your front knuckles apart. Steering is arguably important; you ought to know what's going on in there.

Incidentally, I've also got the USGI inner wheel seals (2001 manufacture) for $20ea or six for $100; you can't find USGI inner wheel seals cheaper anywhere.

http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Surplus Parts For Sale/

Good luck.

Joe

disco

Can you use some sort of protectant stuff on them to keep them new on the outside? Maybe ArmorAll or the tire wet stuff. Not to make them pretty but to keep the rubber from deteriorating or drying out and weatherchecking.

devilman96

Actually... A cool announcement... It will be about 2-3 weeks but I will be selling official US military rubber products in the store, brand new new production, current NSN, current build spec, current military issue... (I will not sell surplus) I will keep the imports available and will still warranty them (which no one else does) but now at least there will be the option of ether or, and no questions about age, storage, or where they are produced!

devilman96

Can you use some sort of protectant stuff on them to keep them new on the outside? Maybe ArmorAll or the tire wet stuff. Not to make them pretty but to keep the rubber from deteriorating or drying out and weatherchecking.
I suggest using a silicone product made for tires.. I think the last one I used was called black magic or tire magic, its a clear liquid and the visible signs of protection STAY THERE for quite some time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks