• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering play

Hooty481

I went to have my m818 inspected for its yearly inspection to be used as a semi on the road. The guy doing the inspection said there was to much play in the steering wheel and when the motor isn't running there is a lot of play in the steering box.

When the truck is running there isn't any play but that don't count. If i get pulled over by DOT he do the inspection with the truck running.

The truck has a little over 4000 miles on it since it was gone through at camp shelby. I drove it back from there over 600 miles and it drove good. You can let go of the steering wheel going down the rod and it will drive its self.

Can someone shed some light on this or give a tm to go to.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its a known problem the steering box bolts loosen. Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the components. Easy way to tell whats going on.

Hooty481

while the truck isnt running i can move the steering shaft back and fourth easily and the box doesn't move at all. i am moving it from under the fender so i can see the box and no movement

jimmcld

You can remove a lot of the play by adjusting the lash on the side of the stearing box. You won't notice it with the motor running because the power steering takes over.

M813A1

Yes like Jimmcld said there is an adjusting nut on the shaft that you can tighten it up and that will help take the play out of your gear box.

seano11

Get down to where the shaft goes into the steering box and when your turning the shaft by hand if you have to readjust your hand on the shaft to keep it turning one way there is to much play but if it only moves the amount your wrist moves your good Dot up here in Canada goes by that so I assume the spec should be the same down there

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks