• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering question...

Jericho

Joe , goats get a bit of slop in the steering any way , the easy way to find the offending part is to have someone sit in the seat and move the steering wheel from side to within the realm of the slop, while you follow the steering component path from the shaft down, they are natoriuos for worn joints at the floor of the cab, and sloopy steering boxes, I have experienced a "wander in my steering at speed, but it is usually tire induced. if its the box do a quick check in the lash adjusment, it takes about five min to adj it once the cover panel is off, just be careful not to OVERTIGHTEN. ANDY

Jericho

The front steering gear box was originaly made in england, ive never bothered to look up the rear , but would nt be suprised if it were manufactured at the same company, The overhaul instructions are in the T. O. the question is is the leak from a flange seal or a shaft seal. The flange seals are simple to make, iam sure the shaft seals could be matched , the problem is finding a parts guy to take the time to do it, the box is availible at a couple of places on the internet , usually runs about $150.00. Most english manufactures used Simplex, Trw or Bognor seals. Iam not sure if Simplex or Bognor are still around, i havent lived in the UK for 15 years or so. Iam confident that it can be rebuilt , iam going to rebuild a front this summer, will leave a post on the result

Anyone ever rebuild their steering gearboxes? My rear is pretty leaky. Seems simple in concept if the seals can be found.

m561gamagoat

Mine looks like it's leaking around the shaft that attaches to the steering mech for the rear. Guess this would be a flange seal? I know a mil veh guy that works for a seal and bearing company so I may hit him up. Prob. grab an ebay box and switch them out in case it takes some time to get them rebuilt.

Jericho

sounds like a plan, some of the garloc seals are pretty generic in dia, one can occasionally peal the garloc back and grab the spring take a curl out and tighten it up if its in good shape, be carefull not to take too much of a spring out or it will chafe and leak

m561gamagoat

Ok, seen some suggestions of packing the steering gear boxes with grease as they tend to be leaky. What's the consensus on this? Good idea ? Horrible idea ? Or ok?