• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering rebuild

Csm Davis

Arms, tie rods, rod ends, stabilizer, steering head, pump, whatever helps steer. I want to know who builds best stock replacement rod ends and arms?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I just use Autozone. They have never failed me. Grease is the secret word. And grease it often. It's old even with new parts. It likes grease weekly. I found parts now a days to be parts. Whether I buy NAPA or GM. Off shore manufacturing is the way of the world. Good Luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just use Autozone. They have never failed me. Grease is the secret word. And grease it often. It's old even with new parts. It likes grease weekly. I found parts now a days to be parts. Whether I buy NAPA or GM. Off shore manufacturing is the way of the world. Good Luck.
Some Moog parts are still made in the USA . but they are also made in 15 other counties , all to Moog specs. Many of the parts houses have store brand made by Moog and another grade of store brand made by the cheapest supplier they could find , there is a difference in the quality and warranty.

It little information on Moog.
http://www.suspension.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/
http://www.moogparts.com/go-the-extra-mile/something-big-moog-app.html

Chaski

X2 on Moog.

Hard to beat the stock setup if you are running stock ish tires and not a lot of lift.

What rig are we talking about? Tire size? Lift? 1009 or 1008ish?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moog or Dana/Spicer Chassis sold at Napa line code ncp as they also sell a cheaper knock off 2nd brand. On front end parts, you definitely get what you pay for.

Store brand or 2nd line usually junk mostly China nowadays.

A/1 Cardone for gear box and pumps. World class re-manufacteur with ISO9000/1 certification. All A/1 is quality stuff.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Moog, spicer are good to go, stay away from the lifetime warranty junk at advance and auto zone type stores they don't last and who wants to replace them every year or grease them every week? I've tried auto zone tie rods and had one that had different taper then the OEM took it back and all the others were the same also had ball joints fail in a few months and yes I did grease them when installed .

cucvrus

DSCF4442.jpgDSCF4498.jpgDSCF4497.jpghttp://www.imfmotorpool.com/CUCV_Manuals.html

WOW. I never knew I could over maintain equipment. But either way I look at it. Parts are parts. I have some plow trucks for over 20 years and managed to keep them going strong. I have a Milwaukee cordless grease gun and when plowing slush and going thru mud on a daily basis greasing and maintaining on a weekly basis is key to keep them in the fight. I do this a lot and have been for a long time. All parts must meet some safety standard. I found parts these days to be basically the same. But like I said before. I like the newer stuff less down time and seems like the OEM parts are holding up better. Just my observation when dealing with a fleet of trucks. I guess keep it newer and trade it off before it wears things out equals out about the same as old stuff that needs constant maintenance. It has been working for me that way. Have a great day and to each his own on parts. Buy what you can afford and afford what ever you want to buy. If it works I use it. If it gives me trouble the next time I may decide to buy something different. This is not my daily driver but I do depend on it. So far so good. Minor and major issues at times. Nothing part quality related. just wearing things out from use.

sneekyeye

Problem solver is their "premium" line. The other is probably the "standard" replacement. You'll have to decide for yourself if the so called gusher bushing business is something you buy into.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the time if there has been an upgrade or design improvement, there is usually only one choice available. Problem solver is based on real world failure analysis and feedback from professional installers along with their quality control evaluation of returned parts. Problem solver is the way to go if there are 2 choices.