• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering towed rig

coachgeo

guess it really does not matter if your camper is a 5 ton and your towing your flat towing daily driver Dodge, Jeep etc......... either way..... what advantages would their be to being able to steer the front wheels of the towed vehicle? Am thinking it would be very handy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
guess it really does not matter if your camper is a 5 ton and your towing your flat towing daily driver Dodge, Jeep etc......... either way..... what advantages would their be to being able to steer the front wheels of the towed vehicle? Am thinking it would be very handy.
Safety.

If for some goofy reason the "daily driver" got uncoupled it might be possible to save that vehicle. On the other hand - if the to bar stuck straight down into the asphalt - that would be a wild ride for sure!

On the other hand, no driver in the "daily driver" eliminates the possibility of turning the wheel the wrong direction, or too far, or not far enough You might end up with a broken hand or two when the steering wheel snaps in a direction you weren't planning for...

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disregard my last transmission ! lol

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like he said ! Bad jew jew for the steering to move wile under way ! If towed vehicle doesnt have locking steering wheel strap a 2x2 across the steering wheel to keep it from turning !
Having flat towed everything from 5ton trucks to M1009s, total mileage in the tens of thousands, I can safely say it's desirable for the steering on the towed vehicle to be able to turn passively to follow the tow vehicle. Otherwise you scrub the tires sideways at the slightest turn.

I once accidentally locked the steering on the towed vehicle by turning the key to the locked position after running it to warm myself. With the steering locked, the 5ton tow vehicle didn't even notice and dragged the towed vehicle with no problem, came very near pulling the tire sideways off the front wheel, severely damaged the front tires and a ranch hand pipe bumper and also bent 1/2" steel plate tow point mounts. I was lucky and stopped for fuel within just a few miles and caught it then. Otherwise this would have been a catastrophe.

Locking the steering is something you can get away with on soft surfaces for very very short distances in those instances where the towed vehicle is misbehaving. Not something to be done as a standard practice.

Absolutely do not lock the steering as a standard practice. Severe damage and/or death may result.

Being able to actively steer the towed vehicle would really only have utility during backing maneuvers. I've put a 2nd driver in the towed vehicle for this purpose when backing absolutely can't be avoided.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having flat towed everything from 5ton trucks to M1009s, total mileage in the tens of thousands, I can safely say it's desirable for the steering on the towed vehicle to be able to turn passively to follow the tow vehicle. Otherwise you scrub the tires sideways at the slightest turn.

I once accidentally locked the steering on the towed vehicle by turning the key to the locked position after running it to warm myself. With the steering locked, the 5ton tow vehicle didn't even notice and dragged the towed vehicle with no problem, came very near pulling the tire sideways off the front wheel, severely damaged the front tires and a ranch hand pipe bumper and also bent 1/2" steel plate tow point mounts. I was lucky and stopped for fuel within just a few miles and caught it then. Otherwise this would have been a catastrophe.

Locking the steering is something you can get away with on soft surfaces for very very short distances in those instances where the towed vehicle is misbehaving. Not something to be done as a standard practice.

Absolutely do not lock the steering as a standard practice. Severe damage and/or death may result.

Being able to actively steer the towed vehicle would really only have utility during backing maneuvers. I've put a 2nd driver in the towed vehicle for this purpose when backing absolutely can't be avoided.
Well i would have lost money on this one ! I would have thought a jeep or whatever 4 wheeler behind an rv would act just like a say 2 spread axle trailer !
they will really scuff the center axle tires in a tight turn on a spread axle but a car so close to the rear of say an rv ect. it has no choice but to track right behind the drive axle tracks only a few feet ahead ! If it was on a 25ft towbar i would think it might pay to let it free roam on the steer axle but it still seems scary to me if you were to hit a bad pothole and the towed vehicle steer tires take off to one side or the other would cause you to cut new button hole in your seat ! I have just put a towbar on the front of my jeep but ive never towed it ! LOL i would have locked the steering wheel for sure till you got me to looking online about the subject ! You can teach an old dog a new trick after all !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i would have lost money on this one ! I would have thought a jeep or whatever 4 wheeler behind an rv would act just like a say 2 spread axle trailer !
they will really scuff the center axle tires in a tight turn on a spread axle but a car so close to the rear of say an rv ect. it has no choice but to track right behind the drive axle tracks only a few feet ahead ! If it was on a 25ft towbar i would think it might pay to let it free roam on the steer axle but it still seems scary to me if you were to hit a bad pothole and the towed vehicle steer tires take off to one side or the other would cause you to cut new button hole in your seat ! I have just put a towbar on the front of my jeep but ive never towed it ! LOL i would have locked the steering wheel for sure till you got me to looking online about the subject ! You can teach an old dog a new trick after all !
Far better to learn from my mistakes instead of having to make the same ones yourself! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks