• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stering Column Removal

niferous

I did a search for this and didn't find the answer to my question.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1986 Chevrolet K20 4WD Suburban. It has a bench seat and a non-tilt steering column that I would like to replace. I am making a CUCV clone by the way.

Anyhow I found a guy here in Houston that has a 1991 Suburban he is parting out and he is giving me a good deal on the front and back seats as well as the tilt steering column. I would like to just take my basic tools down there and get this stuff and I know that's possible for the seats but I wanted to ask before I made a trip down there about the column.

Since the dash is removed it is my understanding that I just have to remove the two bolts that secure the column to the dash and the wiring. What is that other part I need to disconnect? As in to remove the whole column steering wheel and all? He's just letting me have the whole thing with the column. I know when I disconnect the two bolts that hold the column upright it just flops down so I'm curious what else I need to remove to the the rest of it our. Hopefully it's just a simple u-joint.

Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way this truck is a gasser but should I try and snag some of the cruise control stuff or would it not work on the 1986 Diesel?

dogkiller

no big deal the shifter stuff & the joint that connects to the s-gear..
I would take everything from the gear box up & use the best parts..
I think the firewall seal must be removed also....
"just remove fasteners till it falls out"

Sephirothq

There are two nut. 15 or 17mm i think that is located under the column on the outside of the firewall these must be removed as well.
you have the two under the dash.
there are a few 10mm i think inside at the firewall for the seal
I split mine at the rag joint two bolts there.

You have the electric that unplugs.

that should be all the bolts.

the two nut on the outside of the firewall might be caked in dirt and hard to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks