• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still Smoking

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So my M-61 Ive been trying to do some work on it. i replaced 4 of the injectors and tried WMO and it just smoked like a big and ran pretty gutless. Today I pulled the fuel line off and ran it right to a big jug of the power service 911 diesel supplement. Fired right off within 2 or 3 spins and wasnt even warmed up previously. I switched it over to a big jug of the cetane boost from power service and it ran on about 1/4 a bottle and then wouldnt even idle and shut down. it would run on it but i had to give it fuel. then i switched it over to a gallon of pure ATF and it idiled on its own again and smoked pretty good. then ran it to a straight 5 gallon can of # 2 diesel. It ran good with little smoke but sucked the 5 gallons down in less than 2 mins of idiling. I cleaned the tank already before and I drained it and added 10 gallons of clean diesel and 2.5gallons of 91 octane gas. Went for a drive. it smokes pretty bad on takeoff. blueish/black and it sounds like a really harsh ping when i have the throttle depressed more than 10% from about 1000 to 1900rpms it pings/knocks till i et over that with full throttle and itll go away. then when i stop itll do it again till i get up high in RPMS. I have cleaned all the lines and injectors out repeatedly. I also notice a hint of diesel in the oil as well. Could the FDC be causing the fuel restriction as well as the leaking into the oil? Or am I better off scrapping the motor and getting a replacement? Its a 62' M-61 has the LDS-465 with no rebuild date on it. The ODO is reading 13k on it. I am going to be relocating to Memphis from Montana within the next few months and I dont really want my F250 IDI diesel towing it the whole way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
try JUST running diesal , nothing but diesal, NO GAS, after all that stuff you ran though.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It ran good with little smoke but sucked the 5 gallons down in less than 2 mins of idling.
Where was your fuel return line during this test?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had it into a 5gallon bucket. It pissed maybe a 20oz coke bottle full into the bucket during the 2 min idle. I will get some updated videos of it posted tonight or tomorrow.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have a fuel leak allowing fuel into your crankcase. The usual places are, FDC(bypass it), Hydraulic head(replace the 3 o-rings), or Boost pump(replace seal).

Each one of those is easy to visually test. There should be plenty of threads that cover this, or someone can talk you through each one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got to working on it today. believe I have a dead cylinder. #3 from the front, crack the line while running, no change in rpms/idle. Is a new injector, swapped with a known good one no change. Pulled the valve cover and the valves appear to be tight. I did notice alot of excessive smoke coming from the rdt at idle I mean enough that itll gag u when going down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks