• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still trouble with the fuel

M36-A2

My M36A2 doesn't start up normally. I need to spray in some quick-start (ether). Then it fires up right away. Idle is okay, power is there, everything seems normal. When engine gets at normal temp and I slow down for taking a corner -for excample- the engine stalls and won't start up again. Another spray of quick-start will do it again but that is not how it should be. Several months ago I wrote similar topic here. I seemed that the fuel went bad; there was a strong thinner-smell. Now the whole fuel system is drained and cleaned and filled with new dieselfuel. What could it be? Engine has only 9500 miles done, 7200 by myself.
I live in the Netherlands *Europe, the old world...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel tank is vented via a tubing that connects with the crankcase breather vent. Make sure it's free and clear. Don't know exactly what would happen if it was clogged, but I imagine there would be some fuel starvation.
Try driving with the filler cap loose or off for starters.

Bjorn
MVPA 19212

1968 M49A2C modified. 1972 HIAB 765A crane and 1960 M756 pipeline truck bed.
11.00-20 NDCC singles.
M103A3 trailer.

"Some things cannot be made better, just differently"

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Vehicle wiring, adding relays for headlights and turn signals.
Adding small fuel tank (starting and shutting down in cold weather) and installing heating coil in main tank for biodiesel/cooking oil.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed the fuel filters lately? Or cleaned out the pickup screen at the bottom of the lift pump in the fuel tank? I think you probally have a air leak somewhere. Is the fuel pump in the tank working? The truck will run with out it, but if it's not working the pump in the bottom of the injector pump will pull enough fuel to keep it going. When this happens the fuel filter system is under a vacume instead of pressure. If so, air could be drawn in and cause you trouble. The lift pump should build just under 1 bar of pressure. good luck!

M36-A2

I replaced all 3 filters. I removed the tank, removed the lift pump and cleaned the inside and flushed it a few times. The screen on the pump looked fine. After mounting the tank back in place I poured in kerosine to clean the tank some more and had a hose hooked up to the fuel line just before it would enter the first filter and put the hose in a ± 20 gln drum. It took 4 minutes to fill up the drum so I guess the liftpump is working allright. When the ignition is on you hear the pump running and when I look in the tank I see the return fuel flowing. After flushing woth kerosine (petroleum) I emptyed the tank through the plug in the bottom of the tank and after is was completely empty I poured in about 10 gln of new dieselfuel.
When the new fuel was poured in I opened the small airvalve on top of the two filters and have the liftpump run till the fuel came out. I checked some more by loosening two of the fuel lines at the injectors (cyl 5+6) and noticed fuel was coming out both lines when crankin the engine. (not at the same time oc).
everything looks normal, just issn't

M36-A2

Where can you get a pump for 80 bucks including shipping?? Do they have the pumps for a M54 too?

Westech

CPL
ebay. I got mine last year and there was one that went for 100 bucks last month. there out there, if anyone needs one I bet I can find one. the 5 ton should be the same thing just have to turn up the fuel a tad.

M36-A2

I can wait a while. Since march I drove it only about 100 miles. I don't want to drive it anymore cause it stalls all the time so it can wait...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks