• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock deuce rims with 15.5's yes or no?

sermis

Ok I heve read posts where the stock rims are used with wider tires. Some say yes and some say no. I know the 15.5's and 395's list a 10" or 11" rim to mount.
Who is running the tires on stock rims and how are they working?
Is there any sidewall issues when running the narrower rim?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure but I thought I saw somewhere that a 12.5 was max for the stock duece rim. :?:

rdixiemiller

15.5's would be OK off road only. You can get away with most anything as long as you go slow. I would not try them on the highway on stock rims.
I need to find a couple of 15.5's w/ tubes and flaps myself.......I am getting ready to weld up some 10" deuce wheels soon.

sermis

I was going to also make 10" rims. First rim I made was 12" but I think it is a touch wide. But the tires are calling me, PUT ME ON".

jasonjc

I can say that the 12.50R20 XL fit on the the stock rims just fine. Like they are made for them. I think if I had a 14.5 I would at lest try it.See how it looked and go from there. If anyone has done this and has pic please save me some work/money and let us know/see them.
Thank you

Trango

Sorry for the late reply.

Getting 16" wide tires to mount on deuce rims will take putting the rim on a fixture, and using an implement to compress the sidewalls. You'll need quarts of tire lube. It will be very, very, very taxing to mount all six wheels. But yeah, it works. The tire will crown like you'd expect it to do.

rizzo

Trango said:
The tire will crown like you'd expect it to do.

I didn't see that. Funny the 1600's don't crown on a deuce rim. I will have to check. I will take a straight edge and a camera.

Trango

My XL's crowned a fair bit on my buggy at higher PSI's. They're older tires, though. I don't know what good, young carcasses will do, you know, especially under deuce weight.

rizzo

Trango said:
My XL's crowned a fair bit on my buggy at higher PSI's. They're older tires, though. I don't know what good, young carcasses will do, you know, especially under deuce weight.
right now my psi is 35.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks