• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storage Prep

Crash_AF

The short list is change the oil and disconnect the batteries. The oil change is optional, but it will be much better to have clean oil in it than old oil.

The rest of the list depends on whether it's stored indoors or out.

Later,
Joe

motormayhem

Well it will be under a car port so it is out of the sun and such. It is about time to change the oil, but I don't know if I will have time to change it before I leave. When I get back should I change it before I drive it a little or change it after drivig it and getting all the oil mixed up again? Should I do anything to the fuel or will it be fine?

dittle

Fuel stabilizer is optional, some will say yes some will say no. If its clean it should store for 3 months without issue. Now that being said, if you don't put anything in the fuel make sure the tank is either clear empty or clear full.

Crash_AF

Clear full is much better than clear empty. A full tank doesn't leave room for the moisture in the air to condense on the walls of the tank and lead to corrosion... that said, three months won't cause the problems a year or years will, especially in dry Arizona.

For a three month outdoor storage, I'd just change the oil (the chemical changes that happen to old oil and water from condensation can cause an acidic reaction), top the tank off, and disconnect the batteries. Diesel fuel won't go bad in 3 months so that's not a concern.

When you go to get the truck out of hibernation, I'd recommend pulling the pink wire off the IP and cranking it over for about 10 seconds three or four times to get oil flowing all through the block. Then hook the wire back up and start the engine. Let it idle for a minute or two and shift the transmission through the gears while sitting to let fluid pump through the tranny before starting off.

Later,
Joe

Rattlehead

Ditto again on the full tank. That should be practiced at all times, not just for long term storage, for the same reason. Not to mention it will be "mission ready".

Also, get those batteries on a 3 stage charger/maintainer if you have power available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks