• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Antenna Bracket

JSF01

For a while now I have been thinking about getting an antenna for my truck, just for show. I figured by installing the antenna people would stop trying to flag me down to tell me my gas cap is open, and it would look cool. So the past couple of days I have been looking into what the proper antenna would be for an M1009, so I can install it on the antenna mount on the side of my truck. While I was trying to look it up I realized something, I could not recall having ever seen a picture of another CUCV with the same type of antenna mount that's on my truck. I spent a couple of hours searching these forums for a picture of a CUCV with same antenna with no luck.

So I have a couple of questions for every one, Have any of you seen a similar antenna mount on any CUCV? Did the Military receive these trucks ready to install a radio or was the adding of the bracket and holes for the wire a modification the military did after they received these trucks? (which I am guessing based on seeing some trucks with 1 to 3 antenna brackets with their placement sometimes in the back and other times in the middle. My truck does not even have the holes for a standard bracket though its possible they had been filled in at some point) Does any one know what this antenna bracket is for (weather it's a bracket for a different vehicle or a different antenna than the AS 3900 Antenna which I believe CUCV's usually had.)?

P1070498.jpgP1070499.jpgP1070500.jpgP1070501.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like an M38A1 antenna bracket/spare tire holder.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all trucks came with the antenna brackets. So not holes where drilled and the Nut-rivets installed

JSF01

It looks like an M38A1 antenna bracket/spare tire holder.
While it looks sort of like the M38A1 antenna Bracket, it appears that if it were a M38A1 antenna bracket, the side with the reflector should be open as well as much smaller in order to match the shape of the M38A1 antenna bracket. The hole pattern does not appear to match up, and at least based on the pictures the M38A1 bracket appears to be made of a thinner metal (mine is made of 1/4 aluminum)
Not all trucks came with the antenna brackets. So not holes where drilled and the Nut-rivets installed
So do you think that the military may have received the truck, and being out or just not having the proper bracket on hand substituted this one in place of it?

One more question what is the usual diameter of the whole for the antenna? If mine is a different size that will at least tell me for sure it had a different antenna on it so there would be no point in buy the standard AS 3900 base.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GIs will install whatever they have on hand. Some units are better funded than others and they can use the proper parts.

I have never seen that bracket install on a CUCV before.

I'll check the base I have and see what the hole size is.

Here is a pic of the stock bracket from the TMs.

antenna.jpg

mutt1966

Its part of a 2 part antenna base mount for a HUMVEE, I wouldnt use for the fact that you wont be a very happy person when it gets hung up on something and is either ripped off or it will cave in the back quarter.........Scott O&O

JSF01

Its part of a 2 part antenna base mount for a HUMVEE, I wouldnt use for the fact that you wont be a very happy person when it gets hung up on something and is either ripped off or it will cave in the back quarter.........Scott O&O
Do you happen to have or know where to find a picture of the second part? I kind of curious what it looks like. Now I wonder when it was installed, to bad these old vehicles cant speak. Maybe my truck did not have a radio, until it was possibly prepped for the Gulf War so they just grabbed a HUMVEE bracket they had on hand.

The HUMVEE's used the same antennas at the CUCV's used right? I planned on tying the antenna down, and I don't really take my truck off road so is there really that big of a chance of it getting ripped off? At the very least having the antenna base in place will at least get people to realize that the mount is not my gas cap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks